Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2009, 05:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for being here!

Don't know where to start so this may be a bit random.

I found this forum when looking for info about Pentax DSLR's. I have been using Pentax film bodies since I was a teenager. My first SLR was a P3n. It was of course stolen by someone I thought was a friend. I'll skip the inbetweens and jump straight to what I have now:
A Super Program that I would rate as a nice user
A K10d that was brand new a week ago
And my favorite four lenses i've ever owned;

Pentax 50mm f1.4 (much cheaper than the f1.2)
Sears 135mm f2.8 ($30 in a pawn shop, easily worth $300)
Vivitar 28mm f2.8 (I'm not really sure why I like it)
Tamaron 28-80mm f3.5-5.6 (see next line)
The thing with the tamaron is this: it is really cheap even new, the optics can't be beat for twice the price, and it seems to have a really good mix of zoom range, weight, and size. The downfall of this lens is the seemingly flimsy construction of it. I say seemingly because after ten years it is still going strong. Sure it has a wierd "catch" when zooming between 35 and 50mm, but it's been like that for years and I doubt it is going to fail me now. And if it does I have a duplicate!

The only "serious" non Pentax camera I have is a Mamiya C3, but to be honest I've probably put about a roll a year through it.

That's about it I guess. I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have!

P.S. Sorry about the Tamaron rant

04-10-2009, 06:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

It seems you have all you need for the moment [camera's & lenses] or until LBA really kick's in.

And as for the Tamron's, they will take about all you can throw at them [abuse] & still keep performing.

Wal'

by the way, welcome to the forum
04-10-2009, 11:18 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry Wal, but I'm going to have to disagree with you. I'm not sure what LBA is, but now that I have a digital body I need a lens that is wider (in mm's).
04-10-2009, 11:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve Beswick Quote
Sorry Wal, but I'm going to have to disagree with you. I'm not sure what LBA is, but now that I have a digital body I need a lens that is wider (in mm's).
You may think you're disagreeing, but you have LBA and don't know it!

LBA = Lens Buying Addiction, coined by Lance B. over at the DPReview Pentax SLR forum.

Well, okay, you said "lens", not "lenses", but it's a slippery slope...

If you want lots of fun and bang for your buck, I recommend the Zenitar 16mm fisheye. Lets you scratch the LBA itch without empying your bank account.

I have to agree about Tamron, I have a rather ho-hum manual 28mm that I'm unjustifiably fond of. It feels good, it's solid, and I'm not good enough a photographer to own anything better!

Good luck fighting the LBA...

Julie

04-10-2009, 03:58 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The Tamaron thing was spured on by a bunch of negative reviews I had read about the lens. They all went something like "I expected better results from this lens. I paid $60 for it brand new last week and it is not as good as my $1000 Leica lens". Then they give it 1 star out of five and call it trash.

As far as the LBA thing goes I've found poverty to be an effectve deterent.
04-10-2009, 05:23 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to PentaxForums.com

Steve: Welcome! You will find this a friendly place to visit and converse about Pentax, and to post images for review and comment.

Regarding LBA - it is a running joke here among those of us who like to try out gear and then sell it back. Call it vintage gear rental.

Check my "Equipment List" link in my signature and you'll see what I mean. You'll also see three Tamron's - I love these lenses.

Here's a link to read an independent review of Tamron lenses. Adaptall-2.com

I don't see a 35~80/3.5~5.6, but if it is this lens, you have a good one.
04-10-2009, 08:22 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No, the Tamarons I have are much newer, all plastic body, autofocus lenses. I have two of the same beast, one a couple years newer than the other. The second one was part of a package deal.

04-10-2009, 08:59 PM   #8
Pentaxian

The vivitar 28mm 2.8s are much loved by many on this forum and you may like to read this thread and the ones that it links to as to why:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/56451-great-vi...-bestiary.html
Welcome aboard
04-10-2009, 09:32 PM   #9
Forum Member

As far as the LBA thing goes I've found poverty to be an effectve deterent.
Not really, you just learn to be more "resourceful" . Anyway, welcome, and enjoy the forum!
04-10-2009, 09:37 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
I don't see a 35~80/3.5~5.6, but if it is this lens, you have a good one.
No, the Tamarons I have are much newer, all plastic body, autofocus lenses. I have two of the same beast, one a couple years newer than the other. The second one was part of a package deal.
Well, that explains that. I looked (halfway) on the Tamron USA page as well. You still have a nice lens (or two of them).