Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2009, 11:58 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From Pentax to canon and back to Pentax

Hi all fom suny Spain. well not so suny at the moment. well my name is Kevin 48 years old going on 18 and working semi pro in photography, when I mean semi pro I mean more semi than pro. I work in Spain mainly editing videos from a Sony HVR-Z1E I have using macs and final cut pro of which some tutorials I have up on ebay but in Spanish. I am English born so no probs with the English!!. I also do weddings, virtual tours of Hotels, industrial work etc. Well I have had the Canon 5D didn't like it. The 50D nice shooting speed for wildlife but dead colours. A 24/110 USM Canon. A 28/300 USM Ultrasonic Canon, heavy as hell!! nice shots though. A Canon speedlite 580 EX II Nightmare to use full of menus and sub menus and the shot you was going to take went passed 30 minutes after. Now before I had all of this lot I had a Pentax K10D which was my first camera and was pleased with it, I can't remember what lens I had as it was a few years ago, but all the pros said god get rid of the Pentax otherwise no one will take you seriously in the press line, that was when I thought I would try Canon for the hell of it, BUT no, I am going back to a K20D I am buying next week with the money from the 28/300 USM from Canon but I am doing weddings and sports and need a good indoor lens. I have been looking at the 18/250 but see in these forums that it is bad at 18mm and not much good at low light and I will need a flash as well. So guys and gals that's me, a mess but me hahaha. I think the 18/250 seems a good lens for wildlife and wedding shots outside but what would you all suggest for indoor, churches, etc. I know what it would be with the Canon and I had one the 24/110 USM but that has been sold prior to my change back to Pentax, so any help or ideas would be welcome as next week I have to get the lenses and flash. Once I get going I will put up some pics for you to have a look over. All the best to all. Kevin

04-16-2009, 12:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Congrats to coming back to Pentax and welcome to these Forums! Since i'm just an uninformed novice, i'll leave answering your lens questions for the more knowlegable.

The K20D, from what I read, is an excellent camera to own. I'm sure you'll be pleased with it. I'm thinking of getting one myself, if I don't need my tax rebate for something else!
04-16-2009, 12:35 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome Kevin.
The 5D's pretty capable but sounds like lots of people share your sentiments about Canon colour.
K20D won't disappoint you. And you'll have a lot more $ to spare for great lenses!
04-16-2009, 12:38 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi chalion. Thanks for the welcome message. The K10D for me was a great camera don't know why I listened to the canonistas!! in the first place. Mind you I still have my G9 which Is a good little camera and does take some very nice shots so I won't dig about one or the other, I just like the Pentax setup more than canon, but boy what a change after all the money I lashed out and lashings from the bank manager. That reminds me I still have to sort out the studio lighting and sync via remote to the 2 flashes HHmmm. Take it easy. Kevin

04-16-2009, 12:44 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Ash. Thanks for the welcome. I can't wait to get my hands on it and the memories I had with the K10D. Just been looking at this site, nice to see some colour again!!!
PENTAX Photo Gallery

All the best. Kevin
04-16-2009, 02:05 PM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Kevin,

Welcome back!

If it feels good, produces good results and generally works. It's probably what is best for you. Lots of people equate lots of money on equipment with quality, well, as we all know that isn't quite right all the times.
04-16-2009, 02:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum

Spain is a country that I would love to visit one day. Good food and good scenery. It is a wise thing to switch to pentax as there is quite a lot of lenses to discover

04-17-2009, 12:14 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kevin, welcome!
04-17-2009, 05:54 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi Maleek. The transition going back to pentax is goin to cost me an arm and a leg!! but as you say a lot of equate money and equipment with quality. I visited a friend of mine in his studio this morning and he showed me some photos he had taken in macro of spiders outstanding results using an old second had 6 mega pixel samsung with a converter and an old manual nikkor lens, the results as i said outstanding. Rich colour, vibrant, full of detail even after croppng!!. All the best and thanks for you welcome. Kevin
04-17-2009, 06:16 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by roentarre Quote
Welcome to the forum

Spain is a country that I would love to visit one day. Good food and good scenery. It is a wise thing to switch to pentax as there is quite a lot of lenses to discover
Hi Roentarre. Thanks for the welcome. Spain is a great place to live and the food OH man!!, another hobby of mine.....wating!!. In the winter the lighting is good but in the summer in the hottest part where I am the light and glare from the sun can be tricky to get some nice shots. This is my reason for going back to the K20D it has a lot of minor tweaking inside the camera and is good on contrasts and shade. Congrats on your work, I have been looking at it for the past 30 mins. I see you use for weddings and portrait the canon 5D a lot. What lens was you using on the pentax K10D you have?. I hate having to change lenses if I can avoid it as sensor cleaning is a pain even with the Eluminated glass I have to see it in all it's glory hahaha. I had the EF 24/105 f4 IS USM which I used for studio work and weddings but I am a bit lost which to go for with pentax. All the best. Kevin
04-17-2009, 07:21 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Hi Kevin,

Welcome back and other nice stuff. I notice nobody's answered your query regarding lenses suitable for indoor work, weddings, churches etc. I'm not too sure what your plans are, as you've mentioned the 18-250, however if you don't mind changing lenses occasionally I'd suggest a good place to start is the FA 50mm f1.4. Even new it's relatively inexpensive, and it's small and fast, and can be used in support of a lens like the 50-135mm f2.8, a Sigma/Tamron 70-200mm f2.8, or even the 18-250mm. There are other primes that you could consider as well, but if you're looking for an all-in-one lens solution maybe primes are not what you're after. I would still recommend having a fast 50 in the bag though. Anyhoo, off to do work like stuff, best of luck with the lens choice, I look forward to seeing what you choose and some shots in the forum at some time in the future.

Hooroo,

Tas
Hi Tas. Thanks for the welcome. I have been looking at the FA 50 mm and it seems to give some nice results and there is the DA-55mm F1.4. I will have to see what price tag these have on them. What are your views on the 18/250mm? it seems as though it is not great in low light situations and also a bit fuzzy around 18mm untill you get to 25mm and then it clears a bit, would be great to get some feedback before I go shoppping next week and break out in a sweat haha. I don't know what the shops are like where you live but here, if you have bought the lens it's not very easy to change it even the next day!. My work goes from weddings, sports and macro shots of watches etc on a light table. all the very best. Kevin
04-17-2009, 07:22 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Rense Quote
Kevin, welcome!
Hi rense. Nice mountain lake 2 shot!. Thanks for the welcome. best regards. Kevin
04-18-2009, 06:56 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tas Quote
Hi Kevin,

I understand the 55mm f1.4 is quite a bit more expensive than the FA. Hopefully you can track down a shop, and take a few pics in store back to back and compare. So far as the 18-250 goes, I don't have one and have not tried it. The PF Lens reviews for this lens can be found here. Enjoy : )

Tas

Pentax Lens Review Database - 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 ED AL [IF]
Hi Tas. Well just parted with 1650 euros YUP!. I now have the K20D and to start of with I bought the pentax SMC DA 1:2.8 18-50mm ED AL (IF) Seemed to have some good reviews but god what a price. So will be out on Sunday trying it out. The shop is looking for a AF 18-200 f3.5-6.5 DI II XR LD. I will see how I go on with these 2 and will post some results from the 18-50mm when I read how to open a gellery and upload etc. Well time to see the fireware situation!. All the best. Kevin
04-18-2009, 08:39 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
18-50? Or the 16-50? Anyhoo, welcome back to the fold Kevin!
04-19-2009, 01:35 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by leadbelly Quote
18-50? Or the 16-50? Anyhoo, welcome back to the fold Kevin!
Hi leadbelly. It's the 16-50 Pentax cost an arm and a leg, about 800 odd euros I think and that was with 25% discount. I have been looking all over the forums for info on it but can't se any reviews done as yet. I am having a bit of a job getting my head round the Pentax again in the sense of the P mode or SV mode as this is different to canon. I have only had 20 mins with it due to work but I have tried in in "Green" mode and the images are fantastic evn in low light of a candle burning!!. If it's a nice day and I turn the mobil off I will have a few hours in the morning. Regards. Kevin