Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2009, 09:21 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Glad to find a site like this from USA

Hi there~ I'm very glad to find a site like this, especially for Pentax users. I have always been an Olympus fan, and seriously considered buying their E-3 when I decided to move forward with my first DSLR. Pentax K20D was less expensive and seemed to have all the bells and whistles that I wanted and needed in a professional slr. I'm very pleased with my decision so far.

On a personal note: I am a current student with New York Institute of Photography, taking the Complete Course in Professional Photography from home. I've always loved photography and decided to move forward with my dream. Yeah for me! I plan to graduate from the institute sometime in the fall of 2009. Don't know where it will lead me, I'm just going with the flow.

ANYWAY....I've found my K20D a struggle to learn, and am still learning the 'lingo'. Which brings me to this: Could someone please please please tell me the difference between TTL (through the lens) and P-TTL? Does this P stand for Pentax or what? Seems like a silly question to some, but won't know unless I ask. Thanks in advance for an explanation! Looking forward to reading about different things...Look for me to be asking lots of questions! Thanks, Falld5

04-17-2009, 12:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Falld5, welcome to these forums. You made a good choice with the K20. Don't know nothing about flashes, that's lying somewhere in future for me, but I don't think you asked a stupid question. Just because there are no stupid questions. And people here are very friendly, so there will be someone out there who will be so kind to answering your question. I will watch the answer too, so I will learn from it!
04-17-2009, 01:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome Falld5,

K20D is a highly customizable camera so I'm sure it's gonna take sometimes before somebody knows everything about it.
BTW, as far as I know those first letter on the front means the newer TTL technology for each brand.
Example:
P-TTL = Pentax TTL
e-TTL = Canon TTL
i-TTL = Nikon TTL

For more detail answer, you can go to each subforum in this forum (whichever cover your topic) and there will be a lot of experience users that will help you gladly.

Have fun!
04-17-2009, 07:32 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome to the board. Someone will answer or a quick search will find the answer to most of your questions. Good luck and look forward to seeing your pictures.

04-17-2009, 07:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

As to the difference, all the camera makers flashes now use a pre-flash to determine exposure automatically.
04-18-2009, 11:31 AM   #6
Veteran Member

A regular TTL flash will NOT communicate with your camera. ( Not any of the recent Pentax DSLRs anyway ) For that kind of total automation, you will have to get a P-TTL capable flash. Mattdm has a nice comparison page of most of the known P-TTL flashes on the market. Click here to check it out ----> https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/43215-pentax-p-...omparison.html

And welcome to the forums !! I hope you can learn as much as I have here.
04-19-2009, 11:05 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks all!