Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2009, 03:12 PM   #1

A Crazy Canuck

Hello Everyone:

I expect that I am one of the older Pentaxian as I bought my first Pentax the day I retired from the Canadian Air Force in 1973. It was a Spotmatic. I still have it of course. But it is also retired having been replaced by first a Nikon 4500 and then a K100D.

I say replaced with reservations because that camera, the Spotmatic, never failed me. Although I must admit I failed it a few times. But somehow we together recorded many great memories. I sometimes take it out of its resting place and recall those halcyon days of film, slides, darkrooms, and smelly chemicals.

Then I come to my senses grab the K100D and go out and shot till I drop as I realize what a difference digital photography has made to my life.

I intend to buy a K20D or its replacement before my 80th birthday.

Good shooting to you all. May all your histograms be to the right.

Dick K.

04-21-2009, 03:48 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Welcome to the forum Dick, I suspect there are a few here that would still call you 'youngster'.
Hope you enjoy it here.
04-21-2009, 04:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes, there are a few who would give you a run for your money, but i'm not one of them. I do hope you share your film insights. I bet your knowledge would be a great benefit to the rest of us.

Welcome to the forums.
04-21-2009, 05:18 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, I've been a Pentax user for longer than you, but I suspect that I do not have the chronological altitude that you do. I bought my first Pentax in 1961 and have never tried another brand. If it works, don't fix it.

04-21-2009, 05:20 PM   #5
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Well, I've been a Pentax user for longer than you, but I suspect that I do not have the chronological altitude that you do. I bought my first Pentax in 1961 and have never tried another brand. If it works, don't fix it.
If we're still all here in 2011 Albert we'll have to have a big celebration for your 50 years with Pentax.
04-21-2009, 05:23 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
If we're still all here in 2011 Albert we'll have to have a big celebration for your 50 years with Pentax.
I don't plan on changing - do you? My dad made it to 102 yrs 9 months.
04-21-2009, 07:18 PM   #7

Original Poster
Hey Guys: Thanks for the welcome. But I did say that I expected I was "'one of the oldest", not THE oldest.
Albert we may even be related my mother was a Berry born in Perth, Scotland in 1904.

I actually bought my first decent camera in 1958, a rangefinder Voigtlander Vitomatic. I had a Kodak Hawkeye and other toys before that.
Regards
Dick K.

04-21-2009, 07:31 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LRNav Quote
Hey Guys: Thanks for the welcome. But I did say that I expected I was "'one of the oldest", not THE oldest.
Albert we may even be related my mother was a Berry born in Perth, Scotland in 1904.

I actually bought my first decent camera in 1958, a rangefinder Voigtlander Vitomatic. I had a Kodak Hawkeye and other toys before that.
Regards
Dick K.
The Berry side of my family is from Warwickshire, a tad South of your mother's homeland.

The strangest thing with the Berry name that has happened to me is that the British journalist who was taken in the Middle East and killed could have been my double. My daughter's mother in law was completely freaked out when she saw the picture.
04-22-2009, 03:13 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hey Dick, welcome to this forum!
04-22-2009, 06:12 PM   #10

Original Poster
Good Work Rense

Hi Rense;

I just took a peak at your work in PPG. Excellent, I would have been proud to have taken any one of those.

A conservationist with the defense department?? Great we need more of that kind of thinking; but so far only in Holland I expect.

Regards and thanks for welcoming me to this fine forum.

Dick K.