Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2009, 06:19 AM   #1
Forum Member

Greetings from Lower Saxony

Greetings from a Yank in northwestern Germany. I'm a former commercial photographer now concentrating on travel. In (finally) making the move to digital capture, I decided on Pentax.
Cheers,
Don Douglas
dondouglas.com

04-25-2009, 02:55 PM   #2

Willkommen, DonDouglas!

Impressive imagery you have on your website. Great to have you here :-)
04-26-2009, 04:59 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Hi, Don. Very nice work, indeed. Tell us, please, why you decided on Pentax for digital.
04-26-2009, 11:49 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Danke sehr and thank you very much!

As to why I chose Pentax, at the risk of being too long-winded, I would start by saying I'm not a brand loyalist. My first SLR system, a little over 40 years ago, was a Pentax. From that I moved to Nikon, then Canon, then back to Nikon, etc. For work I mainly used Sinar and Hasselblad. I had a Pentax 645 system in the early part of this decade, but the inconvenience of using Polaroid made it unsuitable for most MF commercial assignments.

At the 2002 Photokina, a working digital 645 was shown by Mosaic Imaging and NPS. After a number of emails back and forth with MI, I realized it wasn't going to be marketed. (I still think Forscher's fiber optic V-system adapter was a good idea. With it, Pentax could have had functioning MF digital for the past seven years.)

I was interested in OCLI lens coating even before Pentax got on board with them. I like shooting directly into incident light, especially the sun, and the flare resistance of Pentax lenses is still exceptional even though everybody has multicoating of some sort today.

My main interest now is travel photography. Small, bodies with built-in stabilization mated to tiny primes with nearly perfect optical qualities are ideal for that.
Cheers,
Don
P.S., Noisychip, your pictures of Madeira are excellent. I've never been there and it's near the top of my travel wish list.

04-28-2009, 12:14 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don, welcome to this forum. I hope to see many travel pics from you!
04-29-2009, 03:43 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Rense. I see you are located between the Waal and Nederrijn. I lived in Kleve for some years and miss photographing the water and wildfowl around the Niederrhein. Some pictures are at Niederrhein Kalenderbilder
Cheers,
Don