Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2009, 10:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
From MX to K20d...

It all started with a hand-me-down MX and a 50mm 1.7 M lens. The journey detoured into digital early, with devices (not cameras) like the Sony Mavica (it saved photos to a floppy disk!) and a Kodak DC260, whose body proudly proclaimed that it was a "Megapixel" camera. Not 4 megapixel. Not 6. Just a single lone megapixel to record the passing of time. I cringe now when I look at the image those early digital devices produced.

Things got decidedly better when I picked up a Canon G2 in the early aughts, and took a greater leap forward with one of the first dSLRs for the masses, the Nikon D70. I fell in love with photography again, and carried it in my backpack as I rode in the Alps, up and down the California coast, deep into the woods of Maine, and into the jungles of the Philippines. It paid for itself many times over as i turned a hobby - traveling by motorcycle - into an enviable side job - freelance motorcycle journalist.

Five years on and the Nikon is as reliable as ever, but I fear that it will join the MX and LX in a drawer soon. I wanted to stay in the Nikon family, but the next logical step forward - D300 or D700 and some really nice glass - was more than I was willing to spend for a peanuts-paying hobby.

So now back to Pentax and the K20d with the 16-50 2.8 * to start. It's out of the box and feels good in the hands. Some test shots of helmets and cats are all that I've managed so far, but I look forward to learning the camera and leaning upon the collective wisdom of this forum. Actually, I already have, so thank you.

Hello out there...

04-30-2009, 11:19 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Welcome to the forum John nice story of how you got here.
05-01-2009, 04:55 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
John, welcome to this forum, welcome to Pentax. I like the story, I like your way of story telling .