Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2009, 07:36 PM   #1

Hello From WV

Hi! I joined this forum a few days ago researching a new lens purchase With one posting I have met a couple very nice and helpful members. One from the U.S and the other from the other side of the world.

I have been using Pentax cameras since the late 1970's. The K1000, ME and MG. I went away for a nice Olympus, the 8080wz several years back. The Olympus which is an exceptional camera does not offer what I need at this time. When I purchased the Olympus in 1985 I was hesitant to get into DSLRs'. My daughter who has used Pentax film cameras since her high school yearbooks day in the early 90's purchased a DSII a few years ago. I have shot with it and feel in love with that camera. I looked around for a few years and went with the K20D a week ago.

I'm an Industrial Hygienist with SABIC Innovative Plastics. I have been married to my high school sweetheart for 35 years. We have twin daughters (one an avid photographer like her Dad) three grandsons and two swell son-in-laws.

I'm very involved with antique carousels serving the National Carousel Association (NCA) as NCA Census Chairman a NCA Director. My online census of operating carousels in North America can be found at this website.

http://www.nca-usa.org/NCAcensus.html

Most of my photography is related to documenting carousels and circus. I'm also a circus model builder and carve miniature carousel animals. My detail carousel photos are great reference for the carvings I do.

A portion of our miniature circus collection is on permanent display in Marietta, Ohio. Here is gallery of photos.

www.patrickwentzel.com/Patrick/Circus

If there is anything I help forum members with related to carousels or circus please feel free to ask.

I’m glad I found this forum and hope I can contribute in the future.

Patrick Wentzel

05-04-2009, 09:07 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Welcome Patrick, I checked out your site, nice pictures and the information looks very comprehensive. I live pretty close to the one in Tilden Park Berkeley and I'm looking forward to taking my kids there when they are old enough.

Let me know if you ever need any update photographs.

Enjoy the forum.
05-04-2009, 10:49 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Patrick, welcome to these forums! Nice introduction....
05-05-2009, 04:56 PM   #4

Original Poster
Gary,

Tilden Park is a nice menagerie machine with a great selection of animals.

I can always use photo updates for my files. Take a look at the census to see if there are carousels in your area that we do not have a Photo Show. We are trying to have photos of all antique and metal carousels in North America on our website via a Photo Show.

Thanks for the welcome.

Patrick

05-05-2009, 05:01 PM   #5

Original Poster
Rense,

Thanks for the welcome!

Patrick
05-05-2009, 05:04 PM   #6
Damn Brit

I see the Childrens Fairyland in Oakland doesn't. I'll see if I can get down there.
What size pictures do you want? I'm assuming you want the same kind of shots as those
of the Tilden Park carousel.

I'll PM you for an email address if I get some.
05-05-2009, 07:27 PM   #7

Original Poster
Gary,

That would be great. Yes, similar photos. The horses on the Fairyland machine are metal. We would need about 25 - 30 photos to document the carousel. The photos are uploaded to the NCA's website. Our webmaster will format them and then the go to me for historical content and titles. Here is the link that will get you started. National Carousel Association - Photo Show Project

Perhaps other forum members will see this and help with our project. We currently have over 4,000 carousel photos representing about one third of the carousels we track. When the project is complete I'm estimating around 15,000 carousel photos. With the census and the photos it will be a nice place to visit.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks so much.

Patrick
05-05-2009, 08:56 PM   #8
Damn Brit

I'll do my best Patrick, we have a baby on the way next month and I'm super busy at work but I'll get round to it as soon as.

05-06-2009, 05:20 PM   #9

Original Poster
Gary,

Hi! No hurry on the photos.

Rest up before the big day!!!

Patrick