Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2009, 08:47 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A little Canon first, then Pentax for good.

I started my SLR experience with a manual focus Canon body. I mostly used it at work, coupled with a Tamron 35-70 and a 70-210 Vivitar. When it was time to buy an autofocus body in the mid 90's, after searching, comparing, and long hours of hands on testing, I went with a PZ-1P and the 85mm FA f1.4. I've never looked back at any other brand, with the exception of my Olympus MjuII point and shoot (which is an exceptional P&S with a f35mm f2.8 lens). I also use a 67II and now scored a K20D at Ritz's closing sale, and found this forum to ask questions about my new DSLR.

I mostly shoot portraits and documentary subjects. I'm pretty private about the photos I take, and rarely show them anywhere online. I'm also one of the hardest photo critics around, so if I ever rate or judge something, I very well might tear it to shreds. Don't worry, I do this with my own work as well. I'm a lighting, composition, and subject matter perfectionist. Only the utmost quality shots make it into my portfolio.

05-09-2009, 12:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forums! K20D is great and I'm looking forward to upgrade to it myself

By any chance do you also have the rumored bigfoot model, K-9, supposedly made special for dog shooting?
05-09-2009, 01:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome K-9. You'll find plenty of K20D info around here... A little unsolicited advice - try out the BG-2 battery grip for your K20D if you get a chance... you just might like it (I think my camera feels incomplete without the grip now).

BTW, do share some of your favorite work on the Post Your Photos forum - we'd love to see it. (just don't look too hard at my shots - I'm afraid I may not be as critical as you say you are ).
05-09-2009, 09:49 PM   #4
K-9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome. Ironically, I don't even like dogs!

I actually just went to Ritz camera today and as they are going out of business and everything is 50-80% off right now, I was able to get the BG-2 for $43. I already had an extra battery, so I'm all set there. I never used a battery grip on any of my former SLR's, but I thought I would give it a try because my hand does somewhat awkwardly pass well beyond the bottom of the K20D without the grip. I am thinking the grip will make it more comfortable, and I was impressed with how light it feels so it won't add much more weight to the camera.

05-09-2009, 11:02 PM   #5
Veteran Member

"I started my SLR experience with a manual focus Canon body. I mostly used it at work, coupled with a Tamron 35-70 and a 70-210 Vivitar."

Wouldn't it be great if you could use those Canon FD lenses on your Pentax?

Mickey
05-09-2009, 11:08 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
I'm also one of the hardest photo critics around, so if I ever rate or judge something, I very well might tear it to shreds.
I think that's good. Every criticism is an opportunity to learn.

Great to have you as a member. I've noticed you already generously shared some very valuable advice. Thanks!
05-10-2009, 05:22 AM   #7
K-9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mickeyobe Quote
"I started my SLR experience with a manual focus Canon body. I mostly used it at work, coupled with a Tamron 35-70 and a 70-210 Vivitar."

Wouldn't it be great if you could use those Canon FD lenses on your Pentax?

Mickey
Oh, I'd say the FA85mm is sharper than any of those FD lenses anyway!

QuoteOriginally posted by Class A Quote
I think that's good. Every criticism is an opportunity to learn.

Great to have you as a member. I've noticed you already generously shared some very valuable advice. Thanks!
Thanks and no problem.
05-10-2009, 06:52 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
I very well might tear it to shreds. Don't worry, I do this with my own work as well. I'm a lighting, composition, and subject matter perfectionist. Only the utmost quality shots make it into my portfolio.
Wow you sound just like me......Welcome~!!!

05-12-2009, 01:49 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi K-9, welcome to these forums!
05-18-2009, 08:35 PM   #10
K-9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks, Rense, and everyone else.