Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-16-2009, 10:25 AM   #1

Total Newbie here!!

Hello!! Just wanted to stop by and introduce myself, my name's Fiona and I'm totally new to photography and to the Pentax Forums. I currently have a Fujifilm digital FinePix A500 camera and want to learn more about photography. My Dad has always had Pentax cameras so I thought I'd join up here and see what people would recommend, I'd like to know more about how to take good pictures (I'm especially interested in taking very close up pics), what camera people recommend starting out with and just anything anyone can tell me!!

05-16-2009, 11:48 AM   #2
Dom

Hello and welcome.

As for macro (close-up) it's more about the lenses.
05-16-2009, 12:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Fiona, welcome to this forum! Hope you enjoy it!
05-16-2009, 03:49 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by first78 Quote
Hello!! Just wanted to stop by and introduce myself, my name's Fiona and I'm totally new to photography and to the Pentax Forums. I currently have a Fujifilm digital FinePix A500 camera and want to learn more about photography. My Dad has always had Pentax cameras so I thought I'd join up here and see what people would recommend, I'd like to know more about how to take good pictures (I'm especially interested in taking very close up pics), what camera people recommend starting out with and just anything anyone can tell me!!
Hello Fiona,

Try the Search tool up top and just start off with all the threads already going with "macro". That should cover a lot of new ground for you.

05-16-2009, 08:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi Fiona, and welcome! I'm a total macro nut, too - there's lots of great info to be found here. Have fun!
05-16-2009, 09:31 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Fiona.
Welcome to the forum.
Are you going to be inheriting your dad's cameras?
As others have mentioned, a good macro lens is the key to taking great close up shots of small things. I'm not sure how your FinePix would do at that.

But starting out, depending on how much you can spend, I'd suggest an entry-level digital SLR camera, like a K-m or K200D (if you're buying it new). But if you're happy with something second hand, the marketplace on this forum often has very cheap but very good older dSLRs like the K100D or *ist DS (or even the K10D if you like good controls). Then you would have to combine this camera body with a lens - starting off, the kit lens (the Pentax DA 18-55) is just fantastic and would start you off in the world of photography.

All the best in that.
05-17-2009, 08:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Welcome Fiona, and borrow some of your dads lenses !! You can find some sweet deals on here for used Pentax digitals. And pops old lenses will work on them.
05-17-2009, 08:35 PM   #8
Damn Brit

Welcome Fiona, it's always nice to see more Brits joining. Enjoy the forum.