Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2007, 11:15 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Another Torontonian here...sort of

Hi all,
I've been an occassional poster on DPR but this looks like a more enjoyable forum to be using!

I am one of several Pentax users at the University of Waterloo in Ontario--two of us came here from Victoria, BC. I've headed the photo club there for two terms and will probably continue as long as I'm deemed an adequate president!

I look forward to making some contributions on this forum; I keep photos posted at Flickr: Photos from jslifoaw

Cheers,
Jeremy

04-21-2007, 09:07 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Weclome!

P.S. I looked through your flickr pics, some very good wok there!
04-22-2007, 05:13 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Nice gallery and welcome.

Really like your backlit photo with pigeons in the air
04-22-2007, 09:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hey Jeremy! You take great photos! What kinda wide angles are you using? You got some really grand views in your galleries! I like how you were able to make the Eaton Centre geese display shot original. If anything, that display and the mall interior has be 'literally' shot to death by photographers, enthusiats, tourists, shoppers, you name it.

Maybe we'll bump into each other one day haha now that exams are drawing to a close.

04-22-2007, 10:33 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments everyone! Toronto is not as interesting as some other places I've been so I try to make the most of it.

Pete - I mostly use 14mm, 28mm, and 43mm. With the Eaton Centre photo, I had to walk around to several angles to choose the one which worked best...i.e. I liked a compressed view by backing up pretty far instead of standing right on the railings and using a wider angle (which you generally expect). You're right--it's way too photographed!

Do you go to UoT? I'm here for another week finishing up a co-op term and then it's a summer of study for me in Waterloo.
04-22-2007, 11:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Yea, Scarborough Campus. Wow the 14mm is a nice lens, but waayy out of my budget.

You said you run a photo club at school. How are the logistics? Like how do you go about the regular meetings and stuff, I'm wondering what you guys do because not everyone has a slr on campus. There is a Journalism program and most of the students there have Nikons but for the majority, its just point and shoot so you can't have like gear discussions and what not.
04-23-2007, 05:31 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
We hold meetings every 2 weeks in the student building. We try to make it photography, not DSLR exclusively, so we have things like workshops and photo contests. Workshops cover stuff like exposure, and the technical stuff. Granted, it's easier to show on a DSLR, but at the same time my P&S has live view which is nice for LCD projectors!

We also shoot for the school. We recently celebrated our 50th anniversary and the alumni calendar which went to print at volumes in the tens of thousands had 9 of 12 months with spreads from shots taken by photo club members. Some faculties and colleges have approached us for more work in part because we're cheaper than "real" pros (not free though haha), and also since then they can say "A UW student took that".

Granted, we're not perfect. We tend to have a fairly large dropoff in interest as midterms approach, but thankfully the high interest at the beginning of each year does add new regulars each year.

04-23-2007, 06:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi and welcome!
some good looking shots you have there!
I love the region you are in.... Cambridge, Elora and Fergus in paticular.

looking forward to your input,

randy
04-23-2007, 10:27 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Haha, see...I don't really know exposure or anything haha. I never took photography class. Just learnt everything from reading DPR camera reviews haha. The problem I see is that for a club on campus, most of the students just want to shoot. Most just have point and shoot, Sony Ericcson W800 and W810.

I don't know much about theory and certainly not enough in general in my opinion, to keep the students on campus 'involved' for a few hours at every meeting.

How would I go about forming a club thats involving for people of all skill levels and cameras?
04-24-2007, 04:32 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Most ppl in the club didn't take classes either, and are also there for the shooting! One of our contest winners used a cell phone camera...it was voted the winner because it "looked nice", not because it was high res and super sharp with nice bokeh.

You're lucky since Toronto is at least a little more interesting than K-W (still a little boring on an absolute scale!) that getting a group together to shoot shouldn't be too hard.

At UW, it's a formal process. Every year I have paperwork to sign with the Feds club director, so you probably have a similar student federation responsible for your undergrads.

Then every September and January there's a "clubs day" where all clubs put up kiosks (with poster displays, etc, some have laptops with slideshows) and club members sit there for two days with a signup sheet. Turnout is very good partially because UW is a small campus and most students pass through that building all the time.

We've tried to organize larger trips (i.e. to Niagara or Toronto), but students are usally too time-restricted to commit an entire weekend (have assignments or midterms etc haha). So usually it doesn't go through. As a result my friends and I tend to do this on our own, and while we're on co-op work terms when we have more free time (and more money doesn't hurt either!)

I'm pretty sure your student organization also has provisions for posting copies of a sheet of paper across campus detailing an event you'dl ike to plan.

We can take this offline if you'd like to seriously get something started at UoT.
04-24-2007, 11:08 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm sure there's something at UofT St. George campus but Scarborough..hmm yea I guess it can work. Have like scheduled trips every once in a while and have photo contests. Just a bit unsure of what to do like actually during the regular meets that are on campus.