Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2009, 09:06 AM   #1

Glad to be here from Atlanta, GA

Hey I'm 19 and will be going back to school this fall at GSU for film/video and journalism...

I'm a DSLR noob... by all accounts, im coming from 200-400 dollar PS cameras... nikon, sony...etc...

I'll be buying a k10d shortly and will be going to pakistan in july for about 5 weeks....

I'll be (attempting) taking all kinds of photography including
-The Pakistani landscape (it really is beautiful)
-The regions Flora and Fauna (macro i guess)
-I'll be visiting some of the Refugee camps and taking pictures there (would this be considered portrait?)
-Hopefully i can get a bit north into the NWFP region and get close to if not w/ the Pakistani army and the ongoing operations in the SWAT valley region to snap some action photographs and hopefully some combat photos.

I made a thread in the beginner forum for some advice, feel free (and please do) leave some for me

thanks.

06-02-2009, 01:20 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll have a great trip photographically.
06-02-2009, 01:41 PM   #3
Banned

welcome from Savannah. I hope you enjoy your trip to Pakistan. sounds exciting!
06-02-2009, 02:13 PM   #4
Forum Member

Welcome from the the southside of Hotlanta. I'm new to DSLR also. I have friends that went to Pakistan last year. Quite a culture shock. Polution was terrible.
Ask before taking pictures in a foreign country. Pakistan is a war zone now. You may lose your camera or be detained. Best of luck at GSU. my daughter graduated there. Alot of cool people there ! Go to the beginners forum and ask questions about lens.
Enjoy your trip and keep your eye and lens open.

06-02-2009, 07:42 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks for the welcome everybody. It will be exciting.
It definitely is a culture shock the first time, no two ways about it.
but the 7th time around, you get used to it
Polutions is horrendous, its a real tragedy. I got an email the other day showing historic pictures of Karachi from the 1900s. The most beautiful city ever. Now its disgraceful to imagine its the same place it was then. go to historickarachi.com to see the pics, then google image karachi and hold back the tears... lol

Good advice, and it defnitely is a war zone. I have a nicop card that I can travel in country with, I have family there. I'll be flying to dubai on my us passport and then from thre to karachi on my nicop, thus hopefullynot having to disclose my passport or US citizenship.
I've experienced quite a few dangers while there in the past, but I must admit no place feels more like home, and thats saying something as I'm born in Dallas Texas.... and completely americanized. Something about the country is just enchanting.

Thanks, I'm really excited about GSU, did 3 semesters at spsu for mechatronics engineering, not for me.
Thanks for your concern as well. I'll be sure to do both. lookng forward to sharing my photos and writings when i return. I'll also be taking a helmet/gun cam for some video.... probably wont mount it to a gun though
and i dont know how awkward it would look for me to be wearing my protec helmet around pakistan o_0 (photo op?)

06-02-2009, 08:39 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome, Apache! Heat's coming, isn't it? (Only my second summer, here. )

Careful over there when you go.
06-02-2009, 08:58 PM   #7

Original Poster
Hey i was just up in athens last weekend, near lexington rd. playing airsoft w my crew.

nice to see a lot of Georgians into pentax... good support group

Chances are i wont be able to get to the more "conflicted" areas while there, but i'll do my damndest to get to where i wanna get to.... at the very least i will for sure be visitng the refugee camp on the outskirts of karachi. thats not too far from "home" as my families home is in the heart of the city... thankfully one of the "nicer" neighborhoods.
06-02-2009, 11:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome from another native Atlantan. I haven't lived there since the 80's, but my family is there and I'll always consider myself a Georgian.

But Texas ain't bad!

06-03-2009, 04:57 AM   #9
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
But Texas ain't bad!
no it aint! as a Native of Forth Worth myself, I sure do miss the home state.
06-03-2009, 06:47 AM   #10

Smyrna representin'

I walk the streets downtown a bit when I have no better prospects, if you see red letter Pentax straps, could be me out sniping strangers!

06-03-2009, 07:51 AM   #11

Original Poster
very cool guys... lot of atlantans on here, thats great!

seamuis i was born in the fort worth area!

you must have some ... interesting photos walkin around downtown mrcrontab... i work in downtown, there are definitely a lot of interesting things to see and plenty of interesting "characters"....
plenty of unique photo ops i'd imagine.
06-04-2009, 12:32 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi there, welcome to this forum!
06-05-2009, 02:33 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome from Jonesboro!

Welcome aboard, Apache 137!

I'm down here in J'boro, the home of the fabled and mythical plantation Tara, of Gone with the Wind fame. What a hoot to see the Japanese tourists trying to visit the plantation!

Be careful over there. The Taliban seem to be making inroads, and have sent a polite message urging inhabitants of Pakistan's major cities to evacuate. But I'm sure your already know this. I'd love to see some of that part of the world, and also India, but as a devout coward I may delay until things calm down.

I shoot a K10D, in addition to a K1000, ME-Super, MX, and LX. When you get the K10D, spring for the auxilary grip, it makes the camera handle much more nicely, especially in vertical shots, and the extra battery capacity is welcome, since the battery indicator in the LCD panel is not really useful. Do you have 110v available for recharging? I don't think the standard charger is convertible to 220v or whatever. I've had good luck with a non-Pentax battery from Adorama, it's less than 1/2 the cost of Pentax' unit.

You'll like the K10D. And its dust-resistance will be a boon. Bring us some good shots.
06-05-2009, 03:30 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Welcome! Fellow K10d user living in Tucker and working on Peachtree. See you 'round.

Adam
10-20-2009, 10:05 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I just started a new Group on the forums for Atlanta Pentaxians. Please join up and let’s build a strong Atlanta Pentaxian community!

PentaxForums.com - Atlanta Pentaxians