Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2009, 05:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Hello Pentaxians!

I hope I got your group label correct...

Anywho, I'm Anthony (Fixcinater on-line, mostly). I'm currently in sunny San Diego, CA, am 24 years old, and I have been shooting seriously since getting my Canon 40D the middle of last summer. I generally shoot dirty stuff (rusted old junk, architectural abstracts, some cars and motorcycles), but I've been known to shoot my random "postcard" type image as well. I've been getting into shooting models & portraits/wedding type stuff to see if I want to try my hand at that kind of subject matter, and it definitely has proved to be a lot of fun.

Have been lurking for a while, been trying to find a couple good Takumars to get into the old-lens business with, and just got a 35mm f/3.5 S-M-C Tak to start my collection. I'll be posting in the lens forum mostly, until you guys convince me that a K-7 would really benefit me.

06-04-2009, 06:15 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fixcinater Quote
Have been lurking for a while, been trying to find a couple good Takumars to get into the old-lens business with, and just got a 35mm f/3.5 S-M-C Tak to start my collection. I'll be posting in the lens forum mostly, until you guys convince me that a K-7 would really benefit me.
Welcome! Once you get addicted to old manual glass -- it's so fine! -- you'll want the K-7 just to add stabilisation for free to each lens you own.

Just sayin' is all.
06-04-2009, 11:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hi Anthony, welcome to this forum! Those Takumars are awesome, both in built quality and image quality. As rparmar already said, they only become better - and more all-round - when having SR in your camera body. So..... I think you'll realy benefit from it, it will give you 1 to 2 stops extra!
06-08-2009, 09:43 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys for the welcome, I know of a few other SMCs at pawn shops in the area, so I'm just waiting on some spending money to pop up and I'll be rocking with a 50 f/1.8 and 135 f/3.5.

Then I'll probably be waiting until I can get a better focusing screen so I can shoot these at night a bit better.

06-08-2009, 10:42 AM   #5
Banned

whats not convincing about the K-7?! if you are using a 40D, and even considering the K-7 you have to know its 1: far better suited for manual glass and 2: a far better camera than the 40D in virtually every way. if you are seriously considering manual glass, Takumars especially (be careful, you are heading into addictive and possibly very expensive waters) the k-7 will be the absolute best digital body you can mount those Takumars to. I say this, get started collecting your Takumars. (I personally recommend a 55mm 1.8) wait for the price on the K-7 to come down a bit, sell the 40D, get a K-7 and never look back. I can assure you and im sure others will agree that a pentax body (especially the K-7) is just a better choice for Takumar lenses.

and welcome to the forums.
06-12-2009, 06:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh, I'm sure it would be beneficial, I just barely have any room in my "Fun" budget to get the low-end Taks at this point, much less a new SLR body.
06-13-2009, 06:25 AM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Fixcinater Quote
Oh, I'm sure it would be beneficial, I just barely have any room in my "Fun" budget to get the low-end Taks at this point, much less a new SLR body.
I know how that goes, believe me.