Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-09-2009, 12:46 PM   #1

Hello from St. Louis

Greetings all.

I'm Brian, from St. Louis Missouri. Just got back into "serious" photography after a very long spell w/out doing much of anything. I just recently purchased a Pentax K20d with the standard kit lens (v II) and a Tamron 70-300 Li Macro zoom.

Haven't really touched an SLR for about 10 years, when I got into motorcycle touring and my Hasselblad 500c (the only film cameraI had left after a theft) became too cumbersome to travel with.

Prior to that I was the oddball Yashica man on campus. I'd spent '91-'97 or 98 taking every single photo class the community college had to offer. Literally. some 2 or 3x, until one day I was told by the dept head that they didn't have anything more to offer me. I took that as a hint that I should stop wasting their time
By that point I'd moved up from 35mm B&W (seldom any color) to 120 and 4x5 photography almost exclusively.

Then my camera bag with nearly all my remaining 35mm gear got nicked from my VW Microbus and I just never bothered to replace it.
Once I got into motorcycle touring I moved up through various digital point and shoots, and somehow just kinda lost my mojo for photography. Any really good results I got started to get more by luck than work.

Keep in mind too, that in the timeframe I was in school, digital photography in any decent capacity had yet to arrive, so all my skills are film and darkroom. I've never learned any digital-specific or computer post-production skills

I've been playing around with Photoshop Elements 7 on my Vista box, (hardware monitor calibration aid is in the mail as I type) and trying to get my groove back on and learn the ropes with my new k20. Slowly, things are returning.

Mostly been trying to capture the feeder birds we get at the house, but haven't been blown away by any of my images yet.
Took the camera out to a VW show this weekend and really went to town, and I think got a few keepers (see post in show your pictures forum).

that's about all there is to say. Looking forward to picing up some knowledge from this forum, maybe getting back to school this fall and learn about this here newfangled dig-ee-tal mumbo jumbo!

06-09-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome from a fellow St. Louis resident and VW fan. There are a number of St. Louis users on this board and a few have joined the (pretty dormant) St. Louis users group in my Sig. I have a Passat, had a Scirroco, and raced a G2/FSP GTI in SCCA.

Welcome.

Mike
06-10-2009, 01:30 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, will look forward to seeing some of your work when you post it up.
06-10-2009, 06:15 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome Brian. The K20D is a great camera, hope you enjoy using it.

06-11-2009, 12:19 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Brian, welcome back to photography, and welcome to this forum! I didn't comment on your VW photos, but I liked them a lot. Thanks for sharing, keep them commin'!