Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2009, 06:05 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Salutations from Northern VA

New to Pentax, and photography in general. Had been beating around the bush for a while with getting into cameras and a friend of mine who got into photography about 8 months ago kept bringing up Pentax and how he wished he had gone with Pentax instead of Nikon since the Pentax Photo Gallery was what pushed him off the fence into photography, once he showed the Gallery to me I spent quite a while looking around on it and decided I wanted to learn to do photography as well. I'm pretty savvy when it comes to art so I plan on learning quick.

Since I'm a newbie I went with the K20d rather than wait for the K7, couldn't pass up the $500 K20d factory refurbish deal from Best Buy. Went with the 40mm Limited DA lens as my first lens, originally wanted to do one of the DA zooms, but with the WR lenses coming out next month I decided I would wait on those.

Camera came today! Unfortunately I didn't get home and get the batteries charged and all that until it was fairly dark outside. Been playing around with it and experimenting with the Aperture Priority Mode.

06-22-2009, 07:18 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Forums. Sounds like you are going right for some of the nicest lenses instead of hunting for the $7 discovery in the flea market. Ah but there is joy to be found in both. You will find the Forums to be best source of information and problem solving available when it comes to using your spiffy K20D. I look forward to seeing some artsy posts when daylight hits.

Oh, I used to live in Arlington then Annandale/Fairfax before moving South. Hope you are watching out for things up there for me. Enjoy.

Last edited by imtheguy; 06-24-2009 at 06:55 AM.
06-22-2009, 09:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome! Be sure to check out the lens database. You'll find a lot of great information there.

Since you're into the artistic aspect of the craft, please don't be afraid of a manual focus lens or two. You can get some outstanding old Pentax, Takumar, and other optics for pennies on the dollar and the manual focus encourages some really sweet experimentation.

I'm an old newpaper photographer & auto focus was still a dream when I was using my K1000. Still using some of the original glass from 30 years ago!
06-23-2009, 04:46 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Welcome to the forum. I am sure all the info on this forum will have you up and running in no time.

06-23-2009, 05:55 AM   #5
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
welcome from another person in nova. there's a few of us here, a group, and a calendar of photo ops floating around too. i'm in pwc.

i'll second the takumar statement. i have a handful of those and they're amazing lenses. especially for the money.
06-24-2009, 04:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum. Enjoy using your new camera
06-24-2009, 06:35 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Congrats on the K20 and welcome. I used to live in NOVA, great area for a multitude of photo ops. Enjoy