Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2007, 01:30 PM   #1
Inactive Account

I might as well say hello...

I've been lurking around here for a while now and felt like I should finally say hello.

First off, I believe I may be the only forum member from Newfoundland. If there are more here I haven't seen them post. (No need to worry. I have somehow managed to avoid the famous accent. ) I've been a Pentax user for about 8 years now. Started out with getting a lend of my uncle's ME (which belonged to my father at one point) to shoot a horrible portfolio for a photography course I wanted to attend. Oddly enough, I managed to get in. I think it was more my persistent phone calls that got me in than that portfolio. Once there I purchased a MZ 50 which more than met my needs.

Sadly, I wasn't quite ready for everything else that was happening in my at the time and just kind of coasted through and never really took full advantage of my time there. Although I did manage to get two of my photos selected for display at the Maritime Professional Photography Association (now known as the Professional Photographers of Canada Atlantic) annual competition. Not much of an accomplishment but still the highlight of my photography "career". hahaha

Since leaving school I've kept a small interest in photography. I just haven't really put a lot of time into. Yet, I somehow managed to aquire a K1000 from a customer that used to visit the photolab I worked at and recently purchased a K100d. Which seems to have helped spark my interest in photography once again. It's been fun awakening the knowledge that hasn't been accessed in my brain for about 6 years. I just have to wait for the rain to clear to get out and take the kind of photos that hold that special place in my heart.

I think that's enough. I'd be willing to bet it's more than most of you wanted to know. hahaha Thanks to everyone here. I have picked up many tips in my time lurking around this forum and hope to be able to contribute something of value somewhere in the future.

04-30-2007, 03:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
'Oly Geeeezzzzzzzz'

QuoteOriginally posted by chunter Quote
I've been lurking around here for a while now and felt like I should finally say hello.

First off, I believe I may be the only forum member from Newfoundland. If there are more here I haven't seen them post. (No need to worry. I have somehow managed to avoid the famous accent. ) I've been a Pentax user for about 8 years now. Started out with getting a lend of my uncle's ME (which belonged to my father at one point) to shoot a horrible portfolio for a photography course I wanted to attend. Oddly enough, I managed to get in. I think it was more my persistent phone calls that got me in than that portfolio. Once there I purchased a MZ 50 which more than met my needs.

Sadly, I wasn't quite ready for everything else that was happening in my at the time and just kind of coasted through and never really took full advantage of my time there. Although I did manage to get two of my photos selected for display at the Maritime Professional Photography Association (now known as the Professional Photographers of Canada Atlantic) annual competition. Not much of an accomplishment but still the highlight of my photography "career". hahaha

Since leaving school I've kept a small interest in photography. I just haven't really put a lot of time into. Yet, I somehow managed to aquire a K1000 from a customer that used to visit the photolab I worked at and recently purchased a K100d. Which seems to have helped spark my interest in photography once again. It's been fun awakening the knowledge that hasn't been accessed in my brain for about 6 years. I just have to wait for the rain to clear to get out and take the kind of photos that hold that special place in my heart.

I think that's enough. I'd be willing to bet it's more than most of you wanted to know. hahaha Thanks to everyone here. I have picked up many tips in my time lurking around this forum and hope to be able to contribute something of value somewhere in the future.
No Way Ay? Anuther Canuck....Geeeeezzzz....Get me my case of 2-4, The Hockey Puck and the Cheezies..."It's Hockey Night in Canada"...

Sorry...Had to do that..I love talkin' Canadian...

Welcome...And glad that you came out of the closet, metaphorically speaking of course....Lurking can get boring.

Benji "CAN"

PS..I was born in Toronto..
04-30-2007, 09:39 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Someone from the Other Coast

Welcome to the Wonderful Land called the Pentax Forums
05-01-2007, 05:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum chunter, glad you are getting your interest in photography back again. Funny how it comes and goes isn't it? I also have a K1000 (which I just dug out of the closet and loaded a roll of film into) and a K100D. I'm having a lot of fun getting reaquainted and I hope you are too.

Let's see some pictures!

Carol

05-01-2007, 10:33 AM   #5
Inactive Account

The joint is gettin' littered wit Canucks! Welcome Chunter! Although I normally reside in Ontario I am temporally taking up residence in St. John's Hotel at the moment. Chicken-livered Air Canada won't fly in this pea-soup weather.

If you wait for the weather to clear here you'll grow old first! Here is a shot I took on the Harbour a few days ago.

I predict you'll be meeting 'Salty' soon. He has a built-in radar for boat pictures.

Welcome aboard.

Last edited by J.Scott; 08-18-2007 at 01:25 AM.
05-01-2007, 12:06 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster

Thanks for welcome everyone. As I have said, this forum has been very helpful just from me lurking and I'm hoping to give some of that back in time.

benjikan - a 2-4 sounds great right about now and this time of year every night is Hockey Night In Canada! haha A sure sign of spring is the sound of Don Cherry's voice coming from the living room.

little laker - we maybe from opposite ends of the country but we probably have a lot in common from what I understand. My sister is actually in a relationship (everyone is expecting a wedding in the near future) with a guy from out there and she claims he could just as well be a Newfie. Must be something about being near water. haha

xfraser - it is fun getting back into things. My basic approach right now is to treat my K100d as I would my K1000 and learn the differences from the results. I try my best to keep it in the manual setting. There have been a few times when the AV mode has come in handy but I try to avoid that as much as possible.

J.Scott - this time of year I will have to agree with you. Rain, drizzle and fog is the norm for St. John's and the Avalon. The rest of the island tends to get a little better weather. Although, seems we won't get a break until at least Saturday here and sadly, the view from my window is not nearly as interesting as yours. haha If you ever get to visit here in the summer I'd suggest taking a trip towards Twillingate. The north shore has beauty like you have never seen.