Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2009, 05:20 PM   #1

Another from Sydney-Town

Hi, All - I've just been "hinted" to say so! I hadn't posted because I'm not really "legit" - I joined to find out more about Pentaxes and DSLRs in general - but I don't yet have a Pentax.

Indeed, I've just bought a Canon SX10 IS, which seems to be an "affordable" lead-in for the jump to a DSLR. I would indeed love a nice Pentax KM / K2000 elsewhere - but being on disability pension it's taken awhile to save-up for the Canon - for which we pay about 50% more than the US price, in converted USDs.

I'm 60, with diabetes-etc, and last year, on "doctor's orders" to get out and exercise more - decided to "get more into" Photography - and gave the old 2Mpix Coolpix to a friend's kid. Another friend had a son working in the camera department of a large store, who offered to buy me a camera on his Employee Discount of 20%.

Sounded like a kind offer, so I asked him to pick me a "zoom-bridge" camera, as I knew nothing about them other than from the Internet. He got me a Fuji S2000HD. 15x zoom - but no Aperture Priority function, and otherwise, apart from the 1280 x 720 HD-Lo - which is quite reasonable, from a tripod, and the compliant MPEG4 converted to PAL MPEG2 and put on DVDs - and its 7fps only in 5Mpix "Burst" function - it's rather a sad little thing, to be polite.

So began a Saving-up period - however urgently I wanted "something better", with more adjustments and functions, for learning Aperture, Shutter, Manual, Filters, so on. Hence the SX10 IS. I'm on the Canon Forum trying to learn SX10 from the experts who post such wonderful SX10 photos there.

But - there's still "something missing" - as a Hobby, Interest, and keeping the old brain active, I do want to go on to DSLR. This time, as with the SX10, I've done a LOT of "researching" - and whatever I do - I keep ending up at Pentax...!

A KM / K2000 isn't the cheapest entry-level DSLR - the Olympus E-420 is, but the crop-factor is a put-off. The KM seems "best" in quality-price level, controls, functions, etc. I've downloaded the Manual, and like the "good for beginners" Help, the way the menus work, so on. It also has the stabilisation in the camera, not the lenses, like Nikon and Canon, which seems to be a plus if you're on a tight budget. That it can also use older, second-hand lenses, in manual mode, is a big advantage for that reason, too.

So I'm now saving-furiously for a KM / K2000 - by Christmas, maybe....

My background is 24 years in heavy transport, 16 of them on long-distance interstate work. I then had a shoulder injury that prevented heavy lifting and is still a bother, so "retrained" into my computer hobby and was a Windows and NT Workstation and PC Tech for 11 years, mostly suburban dealership workshops, with some shop-front work, until going on disability 4 years ago.

I'd actually "lurked" here for some weeks before joining - and the Tutorials, Guides, Links - along with the very high standards of postings here - are all going to be a huge help in my journey towards a "Real Proper Camera", a Pentax DSLR!

Best Regards to All, Dave.

07-02-2009, 06:19 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sweet dude, I just ordered a K2000 yesterday and can't wait for it to arrive on Tuesday.
07-02-2009, 11:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum Dave, I hope you find what camera you're looking for. The people here are pretty good and will help you out anyway they can. I also look forward to reading what's inside your quotation marks in the future.
07-03-2009, 12:16 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Dave, enjoy your K-m - great choice.
Truckie then PC tech -well done.
Look forward to seeing Sydney (my home town) through your lenses...

07-03-2009, 03:45 AM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks, everyone - that's a very warm welcome indeed...!

You're getting a bit ahead of me with "my KM", though - I've only just started with my new SX10 IS! But it's a good learning-tool, with plenty of functions, settings, adjustments, so on. I'll also get the Lensmate adaptor (bayonets on where the hood goes) - and some filters for that.

It's 58mm, and so are some lower-end lenses for the KM - the Sigma 70-300mm DG APO, I think is one. And others are 52mm, so from what I've been reading, 58mm filters will fit with a stepdown...?

The idea being, as I'll keep the SX10 as a general carry-around camera, anything I get for that, which will work with both, will help the financial limitations.

While I had "std" SD cards for the old Fuji S2000HD, with the SX10 I've started buying Sandisk Ultras, which I think will also be okay for the KM. As will the several sets of Eneloop AAs and chargers I already have.

But I have a vast amount of learning to do yet - but I'm here now, which is a good start to that!

Thanks again - this place feels comfy already!

Bests, All, Dave.
07-03-2009, 10:40 AM   #6

Photos: Gallery
Hi and welcome