Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2009, 10:49 PM   #1
Inactive Account

New From SF

Just wanna say hello to the forum. Im new to San Fran as well. Just moved out here to attend the Academy of Art University. So far so good. Moved here from Detroit Michigan. Ive been shooting film since I was 13 with a K1000 I found in my grandmothers garage. Still use it everyday and I almost got the hang of it. lol.. Looking to get on board with the digital in the next month. Been checking out the K7 and its looking good so far but I wanna test it out for myself before I buy. The D300 from Nikon has gotten so many good reviews so that'll be my backup if the K7 doesnt cut it. yea yea.. I know this is a pentax site. Im really hoping for a good product with the k7.. Ive stuck with pentax all these years and dont want to stray too far when I convert to digital. Hope to learn a lot from everyone. See ya's in the site.

Leelan

07-03-2009, 12:34 AM   #2
Damn Brit

Welcome Leelan, I assume you're studying photography at A of A. I'm starting there in September but I'm doing the first year online. I'll probably be doing some of the units on campus in the future though. I'm just across the bay in Oakland.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 07-03-2009 at 01:39 AM.
07-03-2009, 12:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi Leelan. Welcome to & enjoy the forum.
07-03-2009, 01:01 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, I'm sure you'll make the right choice when it comes time to choose your digital SLR.

07-03-2009, 03:17 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Is there anyone on this forum not from the Bay Area? I'm from the North Bay.
07-03-2009, 07:23 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Howdy neighbor. I'm in Cotati.

Tim
07-03-2009, 10:31 AM   #7
Igilligan

Hey Leelan, another Bay area guy here. I work in SF

That is a great school you are going too. What is your focus of study?

Also what lenses do you use with your K1000? (you will love digital no matter which platform you use)

SF is a great place to live, I only wish I had been taking photos when I was living there in my 'youth'.
07-03-2009, 10:39 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
Hi and welcome

07-03-2009, 01:35 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks everyone.. Im actually living in oakland next to lake merrit.. Couple blocks from the old Parkway theatre.. Its wierd how people on the west coast say theyre from exactly where theyre from.. Back east if you live in say.. Wyandotte Michigan (which is a suburb of Detroit) we all say we're from Detroit.. Out here I live in oakland but say that I live in San Fran because that would encompass the entire bay area.. oh.. anyway.. thanks again for the welcome party here. Im sure you'll be seeing more of me in the future.. Ill be working all weekend but soon as I get some time Ill post a couple shots on here.

Oh and to answer a couple questions.. um.. Area of study.. So far Im just gettin started with the school. My degree will be Fine Arts with a major in Photography. As far as photo goes I would say I enjoy people mostly. Ill be working on my first official street project starting next month. No real focus on what yet but I do want to get out there while the city here is still foreign to me. Kinda adds a little edgyness I think when I can shoot in uncomfortable circumstances..ie not knowing anyone or anywhere Im going. As far as the future goes Im just gonna keep on doing what I love while exploring every possible avenue of this great art. Study hard and I know Ill find something that will click and bring me to the next level.

Oh and Brit.. online classes with the school are bitchin! very in depth and actually a lot of work for an online course so be prepared. If you get Tonningsen let me know, hes tough but fair. Real working photographer that has a lot of great input to add to the class.
07-03-2009, 01:42 PM   #10
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by LeeHolliday Quote

Oh and Brit.. online classes with the school are bitchin! very in depth and actually a lot of work for an online course so be prepared. If you get Tonningsen let me know, hes tough but fair. Real working photographer that has a lot of great input to add to the class.
Thanks for the heads up. I live about five minutes from you. If you like, maybe we could get together and compare notes. I can help familiarise you with the area.