Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2009, 11:40 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello...

I've had SLR's since the mid 80's but my recent purchase of the K20D is my first DSLR. After years of progressing through various digital P&S cameras I wanted to do more than they were capable of. The prices were getting too good with the K20D to pass up and I always wanted to have the image stabilization in the body and not the lens. The K7 is too expensive for me now, but looks to be something to move up to eventually. Glass is the next step. I want a few good prime lenses among other things since all I have is the kit lens right now and a Tokina 70-210 kmount lens which I think needs to be adapted to work with the K20D.

I need to basically re-learn everything. My main concerns now are shooting in low light and figuring out how to use my old Tokina and Rikenon Kmount lenses with the K20D without hurting the lenses or the camera.

So far the K20D feels very natural in my hand and I am learning more as I use it.

Last edited by tojax; 07-09-2009 at 11:48 PM.
07-09-2009, 11:49 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum tojax, glad to have you aboard. Wise choice, great camera.
07-09-2009, 11:50 PM   #3
Damn Brit

Welcome to the forum and congrats on the K20D. I bought a DSLR for the same reason you did, P&S wouldn't let me take the pictures I wanted.

I think once you get used to the camera you'll find you don't have to re-learn anywhere near what you think you do.
One basic tenet that gets repeated often which may be of help is - With film you expose for the shadows, with digital you expose for the highlights. I believe that is most appropriate if you shoot RAW.

I don't have any of the lenses you mention so I can't help you there but I'm pretty sure you'll find answers in the lens section if you search through it.
07-10-2009, 06:53 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
It has been so long since I've used anything but a P&S that I don't trust myself just yet. Which means I need to spend a lot of time playing with my new toy.

07-10-2009, 07:11 AM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You'll do well, mate.
Same rules apply from film to digital - set, compose and shoot.
Just a few extra buttons that may come in handy once in a while...
07-10-2009, 12:39 PM   #6
Forum Member

Welcome ! I started DSLR this year myself. I had some great vacations out your direction before the economy thingie. I got a Tokina 70-21mm (K mount)off eBay from a guy up in Layfette. It's GOOD glass , takes good pics in Av mode (A setting on lens)on my K200D. I hope to return to the Springs and take the cog railway with my Pentax next time. P&S pictures don't do justice to the view from the top of the Pikes Peak !!!
Don't hessitate to check out SLR or beginners forums. Also, folks are great here about answering questions.
07-10-2009, 07:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum. The K20 is a great camera, enjoy using it.

07-10-2009, 07:32 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you everyone. I am loving this camera more everyday. My mother has a Nikon D80 that I used in May and that was my nudge to move ahead with a DSLR. So far I am not regretting the decision to buy it.
07-12-2009, 07:31 PM   #9
Forum Member

Tojax I got both pics. We both have the same Tokina 70-210mm f/4-5.6 SZ-X210 lens. The K mount
is the same (contacts & banoyet mount). Happy shooting ! Use the "A" setting on the lens Av on the DSLR. Check it out and send some examples.....Dave
07-13-2009, 10:22 AM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dsodko Quote
Tojax I got both pics. We both have the same Tokina 70-210mm f/4-5.6 SZ-X210 lens. The K mount
is the same (contacts & banoyet mount). Happy shooting ! Use the "A" setting on the lens Av on the DSLR. Check it out and send some examples.....Dave
So that means I don't have to modify anything on it? That is great!

I may need to go visit Garden of the Gods today or tomorrow.
07-13-2009, 03:24 PM   #11
Forum Member

I hear there are folks on Segways out there now. True ? Do you ever go by that America the beautiful park. I saw some cool shots of the fountain the on the 'NET.
07-13-2009, 10:55 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
I tried the Tokina lens earlier today and it works great. Now I need a find a good prime lens.

I've never seen a Segway at Garden of the Gods, but it was really busy when I was there last. No place to park at all and several buses. I did not have my camera out when a deer decided to run across the road in front of me. It stopped in the middle of the road and stared at me for about 3 seconds before moving on.

I've heard about the park you mentioned, not sure where it is in town. Will check it out soon.
07-14-2009, 06:20 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
I went to a camera shop today and they had a used Pentax 70-210 4-5.6 lens for $125. Is that a good price or is that too much?

Last edited by tojax; 07-14-2009 at 08:18 PM.
07-15-2009, 01:54 PM   #14
Forum Member

Sounds like a RIPOFF to me! PM me.
07-15-2009, 03:46 PM   #15
Forum Member

PM sent. Please check your inbox. Dave