Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2009, 01:03 AM   #1

G'day from Western Australia

Hi, I am Phill from Leschenault Western Australia, just north of Bunbury and a couple of hundred K's south of Perth. I have just ordered a new Pentax K20D which should provide a lot of fun. This will be my first DSLR, having come from film slr's and point and shoot digitals. I would have bought the new K7 but can't justify the extra bucks at the moment. The K20 should do just nicely.
Apart from the kit lens (18-55), I have some lenses from my Pentax K2, which I may be able to use with the K20D. I have a 24mm 3.5 and a 50mm 1.8. Can anybody tell me what sort of results I should get from these lenses.

Cheers, Phill

07-16-2009, 01:08 AM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G'day Phill, and welcome to the forum.
The K20D will be lots of fun coming from film, but don't be intimidated by all the buttons and menu items - you should feel right at home with the critical functions of the camera...

Both your 24 and 50 primes should give you very good results on the K20D - just as you would on your film camera. Just be sure to set the camera (when it comes) to accept lenses with non-A settings (I'm assuming those are M lenses).

Enjoy and look forward to seeing your contributions!
07-16-2009, 06:41 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I'm having good luck with my SMC Pentax-M 50mm f1.4 and my SMC Pentax-M 28mm f3.5 lenses with my K10.

jimH
07-16-2009, 07:33 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks Ash, I just had a look at the lens reviews and it seems my 24 1.8 and 55 3.5 primes are K lenses not A. Wll they work OK with the K20D? Obviously they will have to be manually focused but will the TTL metering still work with them? The Camera (K2)and lenses were bought in the mid 70's S/H, do I need adaptor mounts or will they go straight on.

Phill

07-16-2009, 12:54 PM   #5
Pentaxian

G'day, brew. K-mount lenses don't need adapters like M42 (screw-in) lenses. I use M50/F1.7, M28/F2.8 and Super Takumar 50/F1.4 (M42).

1. In Menu | Custom | item 36 - set "Using Aperture Ring" to "Permitted" (leave it permanently selected).

2. Switch to M exposure mode.

3. Set the aperture you want to use on the lens aperture ring.

4. Focus while the camera is awake (1/2 press shutter to awake) - the green hexagon at the bottom of the viewfinder appears and the camera beeps when the focus is correct.

4. Press the Green button next to the On/Off switch to stop down the lens to both determine & set the correct shutter speed.

5. Shoot.

The exposure is usually correct around F4 but is off a bit fully open and at small apertures so you learn to compensate either with EV adjustments or with further front dial shutter speed changes.

Flash is difficult with these old lenses. All you've really got to play with are aperture & ISO (the built-in flash fires full power with this type of lens) and you have to set it through experimentation. I use around F5.6-F6.7 & ISO 100-200 for the built-in flash. Pentax-A & later lenses are much easier with flash.

You can also use an external flash with an M mode that allows you to adjust the flash power, but it's a lot easier with A & later lenses.

Dan.

Last edited by dosdan; 07-16-2009 at 03:24 PM.
07-17-2009, 06:15 PM   #6

Original Poster
lenses

Thanks for the info on how to use my old lenses. When I get the new camera, I will try them out (although it doesn't appear straight forward). If I am looking for some lenses in the future from ebay or cash converters (pawn shop) second hand, what are the easiest to use with a DSLR from the older film SLR's?
07-20-2009, 11:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Welcome, Phil. No doubt what Dan told you seems complicated without having the camera in your hands, but you'll very quickly find it becomes second nature. As you've already discovered, the beauty of choosing a Pentax is that you have a huge range of relatively inexpensive lenses to choose from. The only ones that are a bit problematical are those with an M42 screw mount, such as the highly desirable Super Takumars. I ordered an adapter months ago for mine and I'm still waiting. But there are squillions of K mount lenses out there which will work just fine with your K20D. The later ones will allow you to use your auto settings, but being a film man you'll have no trouble with manual lenses. I like the M series for their lightness, compactness and sharpness. Others have their own preferences. You'll probably find Cash Converters has been done over by camera freaks, but the odd bargain crops up. Check out the thread MoisVous started on where to find Pentax gear in Oz.

Good shooting, mate.
07-22-2009, 02:39 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum glad to have you join us.

07-22-2009, 06:58 AM   #9
Forum Member

Welcome! I'm a new convert myself to the K20D.

Post some pictures with the 24mm. I'm interested to see how they look compared to a 28mm.
07-25-2009, 06:24 AM   #10

Original Poster
K20D delays

I ordered my K20D through parallel importer DWI (Digital World International) based in Sydney. It didn't arrive and they say it is on back order. It's a bit frustrating. Has anyone dealt with this importer? Their prices are pretty good.
As to posting photos taken with the 24 mm lens, I have plenty taken with film but don't have a digital camera as yet, so will have to wait till I get it. I love using the lens with my K2 for it's wide angle but apparently won't be wide with the K20D. I will have to find a reasonably priced wide angle down the track, when finances allow.
07-26-2009, 11:22 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Hi Phill, welcome to these forums!
07-26-2009, 10:35 PM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brew Quote
I ordered my K20D through parallel importer DWI (Digital World International) based in Sydney. It didn't arrive and they say it is on back order. It's a bit frustrating. Has anyone dealt with this importer? Their prices are pretty good.
As to posting photos taken with the 24 mm lens, I have plenty taken with film but don't have a digital camera as yet, so will have to wait till I get it. I love using the lens with my K2 for it's wide angle but apparently won't be wide with the K20D. I will have to find a reasonably priced wide angle down the track, when finances allow.
I recently added two manual lenses, a f/1.4 50mm and a f/3.5 135mm to my collection. There was a 28mm manual lens at the same place that was nice, but I was thinking the 24mm might be better ,so was looking for some samples of what the pics would look like. I'm sure you will be able to provide some good samples whenever your K20D comes in.

I took some pictures at Garden of the Gods recently with the 135mm lens that turned out pretty good. The 50mm didn't quite do what I wanted it to (ie: not wide angle) there but I am looking forward to adding to my lens collection soon and trying it again.
07-26-2009, 10:42 PM   #13
Forum Member

G'Day Phill

Welcome and I hope all goes well with the K20D. I haven't used DWI before, I use Digital Camera Warehouse if buying on the 'net. Get a full Oz warranty that way.