Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2009, 02:18 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
they are like like little jewels to my eyes.
Sometimes I wonder if I ever get engaged, will she take a lens instead of a jewel for her finger?

07-29-2009, 03:48 PM   #17
mel
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by VOldMan Quote
Before I lapse into respectful silence, I would like to sum up the situation I find myself in. Am no spring chicken; my primary interest hitherto was computer programming but failing eyesight put a stop to it. I searched around for something suitably complex and rewarding to occupy myself with, and lighted upon the idea of retuning to photography after a lapser of 50 years. I fiddled around with borrowed point and shoot compacts then, after a great deal of research, bought the K20D with the 18-55 kit lens and an Epson Photo 1400 printer. I put together a powerful PC system and installed trial versions of Adobe CS4, Adobe Elements and various other bits and bobs. All that remained was to find out how to use all this kit! The K20D proved to be adept at point and shoot stuff, and then I decided to get down to serious business. My aim in photography is quite unsophisticated: I want to produce large prints with a WOW factor, so when I slip this earthly coil, or kick the bucket as Wombat might say, I leave something to posterity apart from all my credit card debts. I discovered the forum after googling for advice on choosing a prime lens. As a result of the advice I got, I decided to buy a few manual lenses to test the water. In any case, I can't afford to buy a modern lens until next year. I don't think I'm ga-ga, but using the M lenses I now realize I face a learning curve that will take a good few months to surmount. I wanted complexity, and by golly, I've got it! There are terrific threads on using these lenses and I will hack my way through these until I am able to produce passable shots. To sum up,it's a great feeling to be a member of this richly populated forum.
This is a totally awesome story! I love the old manual lenses and the old takumars. I'll be in London in a couple weeks. I can show you how to use them.
07-29-2009, 10:43 PM   #18

Original Poster
Lost opportunity

Great idea, Mel, but in August, as I do every year, I am taking the opportunity of escaping London in order to have the unusual sensation of feeling sun on my back, by spending time with friends in Spain. The weather people promised us BBQ weather this summer, and this would be fine providing you are happy holding garden parties in the rain. Hope you have a great trip in The Old Smoke; you certainly will not be short of photographic opportunities, and I wish you all the best.