Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2009, 11:42 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Hello from BC

Hi everyone - I recently got my fist Pentax DSLR (K-7) and thought I'd register here

I've actually been reading the forum since April sometime, and I have to give credit to many of the wonderful posts I've read here which helped me come to my decision to go with Pentax for my first DSLR.

I'm generally one of these obsessive people that over analyzes all my major purchases (you should have seen me before I bought my car...) and this and the "other" forum became one of my major sources of info leading up to the K-7 realease and through the first few user reviews. I also felt that I needed a thorough hands-on experience with anything that I decided to buy so I've actually had a D90 here with the K-7 for a week and was able to compare handling and some IQ during that time. I'm not a chronic measurbator or an expert comparator, and am not going to add to the many high ISO noise posts that I've seen, but I'll say that the IQ between the two was comparable to my eye, and the bulid quality, weather resistant options, and general handling made up for the price difference in my view. I wanted a camera that I wouldn't be afraid to use in any condition that I threw at it, and also not weigh me down when I wanted to travel light, and the K-7 (and the Pentax system) fit the bill. I also looked at the K20D, which is a steal of a deal right now here, but I really noticed the AF speed increase, and prefered the feel of the K-7 to it. I also liked the idea of having video available if I wanted.

All in all, I'm exited about the camera, and am looking forward to contributing here in the future.

Cheers

07-29-2009, 12:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

hi there and welcome to the forum. so where did you get your K-7?

do you have any personal or previous experiences with any dslrs or is this the first time? P&S graduate, maybe?

Last edited by Pentaxor; 07-29-2009 at 12:14 AM.
07-29-2009, 12:27 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
London Drugs in Abbotsford, actually. I happened to be out there and they had one sitting on the shelf, had both the WR lenses, and a deal for the combo for $1999. So I bit...

As far as previous experience I have a G9 that I took to europe last year and found I really wanted something faster (as in UI control), more DOF control, and the ability to take a decent picture above ISO 100... wider might have been nice too...

My dad has an old pentax film SLR that I've played with a bit (can't remember what model - from the early 90's) and my sister has a nikon film slr that I've used a few times as well.

I didn't go digital until early 2008 and found a renewed interest in photography once I had the G9, and really hit the wall for it's capabilities fast. It's great for anything in daylight, and I've got some shots I really like from it, but it also made me realize I wanted more. I don't think I'll hit the limit of the k-7 anytime soon, but I've already started planning for more lenses (a limited or two and maybe a wide angle next year.. )

Thanks for the welcome too!
07-29-2009, 12:40 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't think you'll be able to hit the wall soon as long as there are a wide variety of Pentax lenses for different purposes and strengths. it would probably take you a very long time til the dust settles unless of course if you just lose interest, god forbids. I guess money is not an issue for you either, so that would be a big plus.

goodluck and enjoy your new gear. and hope that probably we could join a Pentax group here in Vancouver and shoot together as a group. that would be fun.

07-29-2009, 01:09 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Welcome aboard.....looking forward to seeing a few pics from the K-7.