Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Greetings from Albania

Hello!

Let me introduce myself.

Name: Deni Jorgji

Date of birth: 12th of May 1980

Education: Bachelors Degree in International Marketing

Interests: Cars, computers, photography ect.

Main hobbies: Lots of PC gaming (currently gtr2), love driving and taking photos.

Photo Equipment: Fuji s5100/5500 (don't use it often) and Fuji F20 (carry it with me everywhere I go). Looking for a k100d to make the next step in photography.

Car: 1992 Mercedes Benz 190D 2.5 turbodiesel (running on vegetable oil).

PC: Intel C2D e6300, Asrock 775i65g, Ati x800xt, 2gb pc 3200 ram and other stuff .

05-10-2007, 05:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum Deni, I'm not sure, but you might be the first from Albania. I've always heard rumors that cars can run on vegetable oil, but never actually knew anybody that did it. Do you make your own bio-diesel from the vegetable oil?

You're going to love the K100d, it's a great camera!

Carol
05-11-2007, 02:53 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi Carol

QuoteOriginally posted by xfraser Quote
Welcome to the forum Deni,
Thank you .

I'm not sure, but you might be the first from Albania.
I hope I won't be the last

I've always heard rumors that cars can run on vegetable oil, but never actually knew anybody that did it. Do you make your own bio-diesel from the vegetable oil?
Actually, Rudolph Diesel, the guy that invented the Compression Ignition Engine, that is the diesel engine, used peanut oil in his engines. Only later an oil "tycoon", IRR it was Rockefeller, had a byproduct that was left after petrol (gas) was distilled from crude oil. This byproduct was used to run the CI engine and thus it was called diesel. The world used dino or petro diesel ever after since it was more economically viable than using vegetable oil.

Every diesel engine can run of straight vegetable oil. You don't even need to process it to biodiesel. The only problem is vegetable oil is very thick (high viscosity) and thus plugs filters, injectors and increases strain on the fuel injection pump.

The type I have is a very sturdy one and I'm sure even if you piss in the tank it will still run (I'm not going to try it though ). I run it on a blend of dino diesel and fresh vegetable oil. I just pour fresh (new) sunflower oil in the tank and drive off. I have installed a flat-plate-heat-exchanger, which is used to heat up the fuel by using engine's coolant oil. At ~83*c (that's what my engine's coolant runs at) the oil's viscosity is close to that of diesel.

Benefits: Slightly cheaper, the engine runs a lot smoother (no diesel clattering), environmentally friendlier (CO2 is breathed by flower to grow up, so I'm just recirculating CO2 and not dumping extra) and "funny" exhaust smell (smells like french fries ). [/QUOTE]

You're going to love the K100d, it's a great camera!
I hope someone sees my post in Photographers Marketplace and makes an offer. Unfortunately we don't have a Pentax representative here in Albania, or any for that matter. Poor country .
05-11-2007, 08:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
That is very interesting, thanks for taking the time to explain it to me. I think I'd much rather be following a vehicle that smells like french fries than like "traditional" diesel exhaust!

Hope you find your K100D soon...

Carol

05-11-2007, 02:32 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
That is very interesting, thanks for taking the time to explain it to me. I think I'd much rather be following a vehicle that smells like french fries than like "traditional" diesel exhaust!
Modern diesels have come a long way since the '80s, and IMO they're the near future alternative to "global warming" and "limited supply".

Did you know that if only 1/3 of US trucks would use diesel the USA wouldn't need the oil it gets from Iraq?

Hope you find your K100D soon...

Carol
There's one for sale in classified. I hope I get one ... soon . My fingers are itching .