Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2009, 06:21 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Hiya from Estonia/EU

Hi guys!

Great to have found such a community, been missing it unconsciously: a pentax-featuring guy can get so lonely out there in the big canon world - yes you can.

So my family used to consist of a real senior ME super, I grew up with it. Sadly I haven't got my hands on LX so I don't know the real classics but ME super has always been my ideal for SLR - compact, good-feeling, with K-mount and with the best-sounding mirror-clap I've ever heard. Unfortunately I had to let go of grandpa as the mechanics down here shrugged their shoulders and refused to deal with heart-surgeries (the shutter broke down). I'll be sure to get one of these again one day.
Then there is the Mz-7 that does its job with honour but totally lacks the humorous individuality and superb feeling of mr Senior. But it still comes with K-mount and is fairly compact.

And these two decided to adopt (don't look at me!) a canon A95 for introduction to digital age, quick P&S, traveling and for taking amounts of everyday photos for online and offline albums and diaries. What a strange idea - I never really understood them. Perhaps they wanted someone to do their dirty work for them..

So now, almost orphaned, and comparing my options for regrowing my pentax family I decided to move further in the digital age and get a K20 for playing around (yea, the K-7 seemed like something from the wet dreams when I first read about it and saw the specs - but then came the usual mad&dishbreaking girlfriend and started acting like a real bitch for the $1300 gold ring...oh well.)
So K20D it is for evolving further for now. If anyone has something great to offer at student-friendly prices (they're usually poor in here :P) then I'm all ears. Also I'll probably show some interest for offers of great compatible glassware on the aforementioned condition..
I'm capable of overlooking some wear&tear on plastic and all the rugged stuff (well, that's why it's around the delicate parts, isn't it?), but not on glass.

Anyway, I'm happy to have found the fountain of information I used to google around for for some time - just funny I didn't find it before.

Cheers,
Laur

Last edited by arche; 07-30-2009 at 06:37 PM.
07-31-2009, 05:32 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Welcome Laur, you obviously have had good relationships with your mechanical cameras in the past. I wonder if you will be able to do the same with your digital camera or maybe the logic will be too cold for you.
08-01-2009, 12:52 AM   #3
emr

Teretulemast, Laur. We'll be waiting for pictures from Tartu.
08-11-2009, 03:59 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, enjoy.

08-16-2009, 01:55 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the warm welcome

As for update:
I received the K20D yesterday - the beginning looks promising. It is more mathematical but the convenience of shooting and viewing is there - Just have to be more disciplined as to what to shoot. And - mathematics can be really creative if needed
So now when I finish my project and spot a good light I'll go out for a while - and then, after that dig into RAW postprocessing world.
Exciting as it is to learn something new - I'll see if it matches up to the film-stuff.
The biggest bonus of all is, I think, the lack of need for physical space to store photos. The issue was driving me nuts on film cameras... Now - a Tb hard disk will do for a looong time and they take up almost no space. I've also thought about setting up an older desktop PC as a server to host all the photos - now that would be sweet..
so that's me ranting and dreaming. :P

Cheers,
Laur

Last edited by arche; 08-16-2009 at 01:57 AM. Reason: wah.. kill typos!