Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2009, 02:03 PM   #1

Introduction

Hi All, I've been a lonely (friends have Canon....) Pentax user for some years now, and have been plodding along happily with an MZ-M for the last must be 10 years at this stage. Recently came into a SFX-n, which is nice, but heavy....

I've recently started toying with the idea of going digital, and despite a false start (i was told that older lenses wouldn't work on new D-bodies.....that's bad advice from that shop!) I've started looking at ebay and the like for a K10D. I hope if I'm wrong that you guys will put me right!

Naturally if I get one, I'll have lots of RAW and settings-related questions so I said I'd better warm up slowly!

So hello, thanks for having me, I hope I can help as much as I can, and that you guys can help steer me.

K10 Wannabe....(I think)

Brian.

08-03-2009, 02:31 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Welcome Brian, we have a very active film forum here so you will feel right at home regardless.
You might want to look in the Marketplace on this forum, K10's feature fairly often.
You can even start a 'Wanted' thread if you don't see one for sale if/when you decide.
Ebay would be a good place for you to look to figure out price range.
08-03-2009, 02:38 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Prenderb Quote
I've recently started toying with the idea of going digital, and despite a false start (i was told that older lenses wouldn't work on new D-bodies.....that's bad advice from that shop!) I've started looking at ebay and the like for a K10D. I hope if I'm wrong that you guys will put me right!
All K-mount bayonet lenses work with the newer digital bodies. All older M42 screw-mount work with a simple adapter (but get the authentic Pentax model). You need to stop down any manual aperture lens using the Green button, but that's simple as.

Hop into digital with a K10D or K20D and there will be no looking back. Anything film can do digital can do too. Sometimes easier, sometimes harder. You may need to spend a few years learning digital post-processing but then again darkroom techniques never came easy either.
08-03-2009, 04:03 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just to second what Gary recommended.....think of the Forum members as your neighbors and friends and ebay as everyone you dont know. I ONLY buy used through the forum Marketplace now since typical members are pretty conservative in their ratings and they may be buying from YOU next time. Also, the pricing here is lower than if you bought used at B&H or KEH or one of the other reputable used online vendors. Its safer than ebay, cheaper than reputable online vendor. Such a deal!! Now buy something and start shooting and posting pics!

08-03-2009, 05:57 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Welcome Brian, we have a very active film forum here so you will feel right at home regardless.
You might want to look in the Marketplace on this forum, K10's feature fairly often.
You can even start a 'Wanted' thread if you don't see one for sale if/when you decide.
Ebay would be a good place for you to look to figure out price range.
I'm a K10 owner and very happy with it!
08-11-2009, 06:08 AM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, a good choice of camera, you'll have no regrets when you purchase, get one soon.