Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-04-2009, 04:48 PM   #1

My introduction, and my problem

I'm stevnewb (short for steve newberry) from the People's Republic of Northern California, eighty-one-and-a half years old, been doing 35mm photography since 1937, started with the cheapest available Argus, and used the body with the back off, a piece of clothshanger-wire and a rubberband for loading film cassettes (Plus-X) by rewinding over the sprocket wheel and counting the clicks. I now use an old dear Exa I for the same purpose.

Problem is new, (used) Pentax ESII Super-Coated TAKUMAR 1:1.8/55, Serial 4859576, in cherry condition, EXCEPT that the view-finder gate is stuck in the closed position, and nothing seems to help. I wrote of this problem to more than one hundred Pentax people here, and although there were a few "Good lucks", no fixes were suggested.

I'm reasonably confident that there is at least ONE well-established Pentax repair shop, known and trusted by all of you, and I am asking here for the name and email etc address of same. SOMEBODY, please write me this info at: stevnewb@gmail.com

Thank you all from the heart, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Steve

08-04-2009, 07:08 PM   #2
Damn Brit

This would be the place to try Steve; Home

Welcome and I hope Eric can help you.
08-04-2009, 11:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Gary beat me to it. Eric's reputation has reached even here in South Australia and I believe his prices are very reasonable. I was about to add "good luck" but I see you've had plenty of those already. How about the good old thesbian "break a leg"? And yes, please do let us know how you get on. We like to support Pentax users here, even if all you have of the brand is a lens! So I'm curious, does the Takumar simply fit straight into yout Exa?
08-05-2009, 01:27 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Wombat Quote
Gary beat me to it. Eric's reputation has reached even here in South Australia and I believe his prices are very reasonable. I was about to add "good luck" but I see you've had plenty of those already. How about the good old thesbian "break a leg"? And yes, please do let us know how you get on. We like to support Pentax users here, even if all you have of the brand is a lens! So I'm curious, does the Takumar simply fit straight into yout Exa?
???? He writes he got a viewfinder problem with a Pentax ESII body!???

08-05-2009, 04:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I think I'll put that down to a Senior Moment!
08-11-2009, 02:58 PM   #6
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, I'm sure that you will be able to enlighten us with your knowledge gained over the years.
10-04-2013, 01:18 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevnewb Quote
I'm stevnewb (short for steve newberry) from the People's Republic of Northern California, eighty-one-and-a half years old, been doing 35mm photography since 1937, started with the cheapest available Argus, and used the body with the back off, a piece of clothshanger-wire and a rubberband for loading film cassettes (Plus-X) by rewinding over the sprocket wheel and counting the clicks. I now use an old dear Exa I for the same purpose.

Problem is new, (used) Pentax ESII Super-Coated TAKUMAR 1:1.8/55, Serial 4859576, in cherry condition, EXCEPT that the view-finder gate is stuck in the closed position, and nothing seems to help. I wrote of this problem to more than one hundred Pentax people here, and although there were a few "Good lucks", no fixes were suggested.

I'm reasonably confident that there is at least ONE well-established Pentax repair shop, known and trusted by all of you, and I am asking here for the name and email etc address of same. SOMEBODY, please write me this info at: stevnewb@gmail.com

Thank you all from the heart, I'll let you know how it turns out.

Steve
Hello stevnewb,

You need to lift the top cover to fix this problem.

Cheers,

Gerjan van Oosten

10-05-2013, 03:23 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Welcome to PF and bonjour from France ... enjoy the forum and please post us an image or two soon ... Salut, J