Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-05-2009, 09:23 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Hello, and pleased to make your acquaintance!

When I was in high school almost 20 years ago my dad bought me a Pentax K1000 (he's always had Minoltas, and was very protective of his equipment and I think liked the idea of getting me a camera that wasn't compatible with his!)

My father loves airshows, and I grew up going to several airshows a year and taking lots of pictures with him. The K1000 was a significant improvement over the point and shoot cameras I had used up until that point. I luckily got a partial scholarship to Phillips Academy in Andover, which has a wonderful visual arts program and where I took several photography classes under the instruction of Stephen Wicks and spent a lot of time in the darkroom developing a broad range of B&W photos. In choosing a college, I looked to the sciences and unfortunately chose an institution which was (and probably still is) borderline hostile to the visual arts such as photography - Brandeis University. I never realized how much I would miss being in the darkroom until it was no longer readily available to me.

Last year I decided to get back into photography with a K200D, which so far has been a great experience. The 18-55mm kit lens is quite decent, and I recently picked up a Sigma 28mm f/1.8 for some indoor shooting without a flash. Soon I plan to pick up the Pentax FA 50mm f/1.4 and the Tamron 70-300mm f/4-5.6 LD Di to round things out.

I'm not sure how much I'll be using my old camera with it's 50mm f/2 lens, and my old Tokina 17mm f/3.5 and 70-210mm f/4-5.6, but I still have some empty rolls I should shoot, and there's nothing quite like the tactile click of the old mechanical shutter on the K1000!

08-05-2009, 09:33 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome aboard. I bought my ME Super new when I was in high school.....and are using my old lenses again today. You'll have to post a few pics of New England from your K200D....or scan a roll from you K1000. There are quite a few of here that use both film and digital.
08-05-2009, 11:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum Nater, glad to have you with us.
08-07-2009, 12:14 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum Nater. If you like both digital and film, you're in the right place.

08-07-2009, 01:13 AM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G'day nater, and welcome.
Well done on getting back into this fun vocation with the K200D.
And great to hear you still get the urge to go old school - I know what you mean about the K1000!
Keep shooting!
08-07-2009, 05:21 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome, Nater. You have the best of both worlds. I'm sure you'll enjoy using your old lenses on your K200. I had a K1000 for a while but sold it recently. I still shoot a bit of film with my old Agfa Silette, just for fun. As you say, there's something magic about that click of a "real" shutter.
08-11-2009, 03:05 AM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome, I think we all had an ME Super at some point in our lives, well at least the older ones here did.