Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2009, 12:29 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Greetings from Florida

Hey guys, well my K20D w/18-55 plus 50-200 WR lens should be here today sometime. I'm pretty excited, but also wish I would've found this website earlier. About three months ago I bought my first SLR ever, a Olympus E-420 two lens kit. And about two weeks ago my camera bag was stolen with the camera, lenses, batteries, memory cards, charger, and manuals all in it. I decided I wanted something other than the E-420 again, mainly because the grip was very uncomfortable because where the neck strap mounts are. The E-620 was going to be my pick this time, but the Pentax K200D had always been in my mind because of the weather sealing. Once I found out they had the kit lenses weatherproofed now, I decided to give Pentax a try this time. From there I noticed the K20D was only slightly more than the K200D, so I decided to splurge and figured it would be an investment in a camera that I will have for many years.

Photography is still very new to me, and I was just barely getting into using the S and A modes. I figure I'll mostly be taking pictures of activities that I enjoy. Outdoors photography including off roading, bicycling, kayaking, hiking, and aviation. I'm moving in a few weeks from Florida to Oregon to start helicopter flight training. Wanted to have a good camera to get some cool shots of the different scenery of the Pacific Northwest as I've never been to that area. Plus I'd really like to get into aerial photography or aviation photography including airshows and everything.

I certainly look forward to learning and interacting with all the members of this website. I was surprised to see how many members are from different countries around the world.

I'll certainly be reading the owners manual when the camera arrives. I'll also post one question here. My brother has a wedding in a few weeks, and I'd like to use my camera to get some nice wedding photo's and also use it as a learning experience for taking portraits, etc. First, I guess I'll need a memory card, spare battery, and some sort of camera bag. What are the other necessities that I'll need? What should I be doing in the next three weeks to help me learn how to get nice shots at this beach wedding?

thanks, and sorry for the long post
Bobby

08-13-2009, 01:13 AM   #2
Damn Brit

Hi Bobby, welcome to the forum and an advance welcome to the west coast.

I suggest you re ask your wedding shoot question in Beginners Q and A. This section is really just for Welcomes and Introductions. You might get a couple of answers here but in the proper section you will get more answers than you need probably including "Don't do it". BTW, if you scan through that section, there have been a few "I'm doing a wedding, help" threads recently, you might get what you need from them without starting a new thread.

Enjoy the forum.
08-13-2009, 07:07 AM   #3
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, that's some great equipment you've got coming, enjoy both it and your photography.
08-13-2009, 07:10 AM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Bobby.
Sorry for the loss you've had, but you'll be pleasantly surprised with the K20D.
All the best with that, and do look into the plethora of threads on weddings on this forum...

08-13-2009, 08:49 AM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi Neighbor, welcome to the forum. can't wait to see some of your air work. I flew in choppers in the Marine Corp and I know you will love it.
I'm in the Port St. Joe area.