Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2007, 08:02 AM   #1

New K10D owner here

Just wanted to say hello. Seems like a good bunch of folks here with good sane conversation.

I started shooting film around 1982ish and have used Nikon bodies exclusively. Went through F, F2, F3, FM2, FE2, N8008s, F90 and now shoot a F4s for my film work. When I went to give digital a try I went with a D70 and later a D200. I was becoming bored with digital and went to film full time a few months ago and sold my Nikon DSLRs and kept the F4s. My other film cameras that see use are a Leica M6TTL and a Yashica Electro 35 GSN.

Well a month ago I was wishing I didn't get rid of the D200 for times when film would be a hassle and for experimenting. I decided to look at other brands more because of curiosity and also to see if another brand will get me thinking different about my photography. I also didn't want to reinvest in a D200 and admit I was wrong....I am stubborn like that.

I decided on the K10D because of the glass and because of the image samples I saw. It was also a bargain, especially since I got it at Samy's during their no-tax sale. I bought the body and the 40/2.8. The 40/2.8 fits perfectly with my shooting style. I do all my work with primes and love normals. Form the images I have seen the Pentax glass has that 3D depth I love about some of my Leica glass.

Overall I am very impressed with the build and layout of the controls. The camera seems as well made as my D200...but I somewhat like plastic better then magnesium. I find the metal body has a tendency to get very cold when I go shooting early in the morning.

Here is a sample of what I have been shooting lately...both with film. Shot available light and scanned with a Nikon Coolscan V-ED. Going to do something similar today with the K10D and see how she does.

05-15-2007, 11:15 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
You have some VERY nice pictures there. Welcome to the forum!
05-15-2007, 11:18 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice florals! Very nice. What film did you use? I do some B&W with an old fully manual Vivitar Kmount and am always looking for film recommendations.

NaCl(not really a step backward, just seems that way)H2O
05-15-2007, 11:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome, and yes those are quite nice photos.

I have been a Pentax shooter since 1971 and have both the istD and K10D, as well as the aformentioned D200.

All three have there applications, but i think you will find the K10D a great camera. Very littel PS adjusting on my shots, as apposed to my other brand Dslr's sometimes.

Dave

05-15-2007, 01:10 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks

I shoot color neg since I can develop fairly cheap. I use to do my own developing, but with CS2/Bibble I found I can get the look I want and not deal with chemicals. Plus Digital ICE only works with color neg and not B&W. Digital ICE is like magic when it comes to dust on negs.

The Lillie was shot with Kodak 100UC and the Rose with Fuji Pro 800Z

QuoteOriginally posted by NaClH2O Quote
Nice florals! Very nice. What film did you use? I do some B&W with an old fully manual Vivitar Kmount and am always looking for film recommendations.

NaCl(not really a step backward, just seems that way)H2O
05-15-2007, 01:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Both are wonderful pictures, but I really like the second one. I'll be interested to see how the K10D works for you...

Carol
05-15-2007, 01:17 PM   #7

Original Poster
Here are the first shots I did...trying to duplicate film.

Anyway...I think the K10D is a keeper. Looking forward to working with it.

05-15-2007, 02:37 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks great to me. This camera does great B&W.
05-15-2007, 05:55 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Great stuff welcome aboard.
05-16-2007, 06:43 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Very nice!!! I like the contrast in the first picture better than the second.
05-18-2007, 10:10 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Very nice photos, i really love the film shots....makes me wanna grab a roll and dust of my spotmatic Theres a nice application i use called Exposure from Alienware which mimics the characteristics of traditional film. The BW presets cover Fuji neopan 100-1600, ilford delta range, kodak tmax and tri-x range and even infra red. They work well for most needs as is but you also have full control if needed. There is also a color film section included in the plugin.
05-19-2007, 08:44 AM   #12

Original Poster
I have Exposure in CS2....It's pretty cool and does a nice job of duplicating film stock. I don't use the B&W film that often, but do like the color films....especially the cross processed ones.

Thanks

QuoteOriginally posted by Kaimarx Quote
Very nice photos, i really love the film shots....makes me wanna grab a roll and dust of my spotmatic Theres a nice application i use called Exposure from Alienware which mimics the characteristics of traditional film. The BW presets cover Fuji neopan 100-1600, ilford delta range, kodak tmax and tri-x range and even infra red. They work well for most needs as is but you also have full control if needed. There is also a color film section included in the plugin.