Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2009, 11:06 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Lapsed Pentaxian seeks advice

Hello. I have described myself as a lapsed Pentaxian. My first 35 mm SLR was a Honeywell Pentax Spotmatic and I still have it. Over the years, I upgraded to an ME Super, an MX, and finally a SuperProgram A along with a small collection of lenses (mostly in the M- series). That explains the Pentaxian part.

In all honesty, I haven't used this equipment in a very long time. Thus, lapsed seems appropriate, too.

My entry into the digital age was accomplished with a Panasonic PV4090 unit followed a few years later by an Olympus C-750. Both units are fully functional and to a large extent meet my photographic needs.

I seem to be at a crossroads. I'd like to ressurect my old equipment and become more active in photography, but does it make any sense to follow the "film" path when the world is clearly going digital. So, one of the issues about which I am seaking some guidance is what to do with all my old slides. I have far too many to have them converted professionally. Do any of you have recommendations on equipment or techniques for accomlishing the task myself?

Next, if I wanted to proceed down the digital path, should I continue with point and shoot cameras (I know Pentax has some very nice ones), or should I consider a DSLR body and make use of my old lenses?

I am old enough to know it's less expensive to ask questions and seek advice before making major purchases. So, as they say, I am open to suggestions.

08-18-2009, 11:48 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome back Phil
There are many users here who continue to shoot film alongside digital, and some even who go exclusively film.
That's really up to you how you'd like to go. Though digital is becoming more and more versatile, and with Pentax, you'll always be assured of backwards lens compatibility.

Depending on your budget, you can enter the dSLR world with a K2000 new for, what, less than $500, or a used higher-end model like the K10D for around $300 or even K20D for $600. All these bodies allow for a lot of room for improvement.
08-19-2009, 12:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Phil47 Quote
Next, if I wanted to proceed down the digital path, should I continue with point and shoot cameras (I know Pentax has some very nice ones), or should I consider a DSLR body and make use of my old lenses?
I wasn't quite so lapsed as yourself, but otherwise I was in a very similar situation at the beginning of 2007. I still had my ME Super and a few A and M lenses from the mid 80s, largely unused for quite a few years.

I bought a K10D on the strength largely of its compatibility with older K-mount lenses, and was promptly blown away by digital. The immediacy of the results meant that my technique improved far more quickly than it ever could have with film, and although a lot larger than the ME Super, I was delighted with the ergonomics. My photography, while still not stellar quality, improved in leaps and bounds, and being able to do all the darkroom stuff (that I'd never got into) on the computer was a real delight - no longer was I restricted to what came back on the prints.

Ironically unaware when I bought it, of the now well-documented exposure issues with the K10D and Pre-A lenses, I found using my M lenses too inconvenient, and ended up selling them, but, and here's the important point...

... not for a moment did I regret getting into the dSLR world, even one of the original reasons was wrong. I'd had a brief and very unsatisfying dalliance with digital P&S, but the lack of flexibility turned me off very quickly.

Since getting the K10D, I've acquired several AF lenses, kept one or two A-series ones, which are perfectly exposure compatible with the K10D (and later dSLRs), and I've never looked back.

Although I've been delighted with the K10D in many respects, and will be upgrading eventually to the K7, I would suggest that you take a look at other brands as well. Having a bunch of very old lenses wasn't, in retrospect, as obvious a reason for staying with Pentax as it appeared at the time, since although their undoubted optical qualities are relevant, so is convenience, and AF and AE are good to have.

You may well end up with Pentax again, but if you're going to go digital, and you're going to get an SLR, have a look round first.

Last edited by ChrisA; 08-19-2009 at 12:12 AM.
08-19-2009, 12:20 AM   #4
Damn Brit

Welcome Phil.
My suggestion/solution for you is short and sweet.
Get a Pentax DSLR, use all your lenses and shoot Film and Digital.

08-20-2009, 03:24 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Just to clarify...

I would like to clarify something. In my initial post, I described myself as a "lapsed Pentaxian." I thought Pentaxian was a nice way of defining a Pentax equipment fan or loyalist. After reading a few threads, I have come to realize that at this forum, "Pentaxian" has a very specific meaning, defined by longevity at the forum and number of postings. I don't meet those qualifications and I am sorry I used the term incorrectly. My apologies to anyone who might take offense.

I'm just a lapsed Pentax loyalist!

Do you suppose the moderators cleared the use of the term Pentaxian with the inhabitants of the planet Pentax? I believe they would have first dibs.
08-21-2009, 12:32 PM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, lapsed pentaxian sounds more like a medical condition to me and maybe not a nice one.
08-23-2009, 10:37 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was in a similar place as you 2 years ago. I had film SLR's that weren't getting used much and a digital point and shoot. After a few months of looking at DSLR's and kicking it around I bought a Pentax K10D. That camera re-ignited my love for photography. Photography is once again in first place among my spare time activities. I have probably shot more pictures in the last 2 years than the previous 15 combined. My old Takumars work well with the digital camera although my eyesight isn't what it once was and I use the new lenses most of the time.

My advice is the same as Gary's. Buy the DSLR and start shooting again. You won't regret it.
08-23-2009, 12:51 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Welcome to the forum!

My signature picture answers your queries; K10D and ME Super live side by side in perfect harmony sharing the same great lenses.

Forget the 'lapsed' handle - you are a Pentaxian!

08-23-2009, 01:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Hi Phil(47),
Like you, I cut my teeth on Asahi Spotmatic II's. Still have 2 of the black bodied beauties along with a pretty nice selection of M42 lenses (see my sig). I had played in the P&S arena shooting Pentax, Casio and Fuji. It was such a treat to go DSLR, as when you trigger the shutter, it takes the photo, doesn't hesitate like a P&S, and you're likely to capture what you saw when you saw it.

Tough part is, it will be hard to convince a newcomer to DSLR to buy the best you can afford, vis-a-vis, the most current technologically. I started with the K10D, and now with the K-7 it would be hard for me to go back to the K10, even thought it's a totally amazing body.

You will not regret moving toward DSLR and using your old collection of lenses.

Good Luck!