Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2007, 06:20 PM   #1

Viva Las Vegas

I started out in photography with an ME Super in the early 80's and am now thinking of finding a used digital body. Although I own some wonderful LX equipment, they are not as reliable as they should be. I am getting a little impatient with film and am thinking about shifting over to a 6.1 MP digital body to speed things up a little bit (although I would prefer a new 10MP). I just hate to sacrifice quality but I need to go cheap.

I used to do still photography and high-speed motion photography as a profession with a research and development company. I became a cinematographer for a short while but I mostly filmed some shorts for some independant producers.

Now I work for a TV station as their video engineer. It at least uses my electronics degree (as did the high-speed still and motion photography when I designed trigger systems).

But I pulled out the old still equipment to photograph some bugs on my grapevines. The equipment is showing age and is not reliable. So I am thinking about buying one of the earlier digital cameras to see if they will do what I need them to do.

So I joined this forum to check out the digital cameras and work on some macro techniques. Hopefully I can make some contributions along the way.

-LV Dan

05-16-2007, 06:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum Dan, all contributions are welcome! I personally don't think there is a huge difference between the 6 & 10 MP cameras as far as image quality is concerned (at least not for amateur photographers), so I wouldn't let that be the deciding factor in your choice. You should be able to pick up a really good used DSLR for a reasonable price.

Good luck on your search!

Carol
05-16-2007, 09:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hello to Sin City !!! We make an annual pilgrimage there in the fall. I now have a k10D so I can get crystal clear shots of my money BEFORE I go Welcome aboard
05-16-2007, 10:12 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Hello LV Dan. welcome aboard.

We just came back a few weeks ago from LV. Man have things changed sincew 1985.:-)

Dave

05-18-2007, 02:00 PM   #5

Original Poster
Things Have Changed

Things have really changed in Las Vegas since I moved here in 1989. It has doubled in size and the strip doesn't look anything like it did then.

If only I had dedicated a camera to shooting a picture of the strip once a day and then play it back in time lapse! Not too many cities have changed as fast as Las Vegas so I think would be some compeling images!

Dan
05-18-2007, 02:08 PM   #6

Original Poster
I'm a little worried about the quality of the DSLR in comparison to film. I am used to some vary sharp photography. I used to use Kodachrome 25 and am currently using the last of the Fujichrome 50 film. I also own 6x8cm equipment with lens that have higher resolving power than even my best 35mm lenses! And then condidering the Pentax DSLRs are coupled with an APC-C sized imager at 6.1 MP, I am nervous that the results will be less than I am used to. However, the speed and cost might just make up for the difference in sharpness.

Dan
05-18-2007, 03:33 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LV Dan Quote
Things have really changed in Las Vegas since I moved here in 1989. It has doubled in size and the strip doesn't look anything like it did then.

If only I had dedicated a camera to shooting a picture of the strip once a day and then play it back in time lapse! Not too many cities have changed as fast as Las Vegas so I think would be some compeling images!

Dan
I hear that ... my first visit there was in 1987 - the MGM was a sign in the ground - my next Visit was 2001 so a 'few things changed' . We have been there almost every year since 2001 and it is still changing (what is that new complex called the Cosmopolitan ? ) ... it's a fun place for us a chance to get away and enjoy some fine food and enterainment and not feel guilty about a 08:00 am Coffee and Baileys to start the day

Any good camera shops there that have Pentax lenses in stock ? There are considerable cheaper in the US than Canada (not sure why other electronics are on par or cheaper here) . If I can find the time would not mind checking a place or two out to spend my winnings hahahaha .

05-21-2007, 09:52 PM   #8

Original Poster
Not Many Places to Shop for Photo Equipment

There are only two dealers in town that directly sell Pentax:

Sahara Camera
Casey's Camera

Both are honest dealerships but both are retail. The must also charge sales tax (7.75%)

I buy most of my equipment on eBay and at B&H Photo Video. Camera World of Oregon in Portland, OR is also honest and tax free. I've spent more money there than I care to admit.

But I know it is different when equipment crosses the border.