Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2009, 06:29 AM   #1

Hello from Bristol, UK

Hi.
So just thought I'd drop a message in here as I'm new to the forums (I guess thats what its for).

I'm pretty new to pentax and photography with slr's in general.
I bought a K-M (which is what I could afford) and pretty much always have my ebay purchased Pentax-M 50mm f1.7 stuck to the front (which I adore).

I'm also interested on getting into some film photography (partially as I have a dark room available for me to use at my uni), so I guess my first question to the forum... any recommended cheap K-mount film cameras I could grab off ebay.

Also how do people go about buying film these days... it seems to be getting more than a little expensive.

Nice to meet you all.
Matt (lionsmane)

Oh also... My Flickr Page

08-27-2009, 03:56 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Glad to have you on the forums Matt.
A lot of good music comes out of Bristol.
08-28-2009, 03:53 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Glad you joined us and a big Welcome to you.
08-28-2009, 06:05 AM   #4

Hi there me babber!

I am also in bristol, and doing a degree in bristol too, I get my film from calumet in montpellier by the train station, as they quite often have discount out of date (but only just, and kept in fridge) and also lots of fresh films, some of which are quite hard to find, such as iso 1600 etc.

have fun on the forum, it's gert lush!

dave

08-28-2009, 07:14 AM   #5

Original Poster
Cheers for the welcome everyone.

QuoteOriginally posted by davebris33 Quote
Hi there me babber!

I am also in bristol, and doing a degree in bristol too, I get my film from calumet in montpellier by the train station, as they quite often have discount out of date (but only just, and kept in fridge) and also lots of fresh films, some of which are quite hard to find, such as iso 1600 etc.

have fun on the forum, it's gert lush!

dave
Ahh which university? I'm at UoB and planning to join the photosoc at the start of the new term as I believe that means I'll be allowed access to the dark room - not that I have a clue how to use it yet.

Thanks for the hint as to where to get film, really helpful... I'll head over there someday soon.
08-28-2009, 07:16 AM   #6

Original Poster
Also whilst I think of it.
How okay is it to use out of date film?
Cus I've been given a lot of film that has a date of late 2008 on it... seeing as it's just been kept in a cupboard for it's lifetime is that likely to be a no go?
Cheers.
Matt
08-28-2009, 11:12 AM   #7
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum, try the film out on a non mission critical outing, chances are it will be ok.
08-28-2009, 05:58 PM   #8

Hi

Yes it's good fun using out of date film, as results can be spectacularly bizarre!,

But if it's only a little out of date, a year or two it will probably be fine, but always use new film for something u know will be important...but practicing how to develop your own film it's ideal and cheap! But remember that if the results are weird it might be that you did it wrong, so try an in date film first so that you get a feel for the rights and wrongs of development first.

I am doing a degree through University of Plymouth, but take lectures at City of Bristol college cos they have a really good set of studios, darkrooms and developing rooms for medium format and 35mm film work, which is really rare these days...

There is also a set of darkrooms in St Pauls community centre that you can hire for the day

cheers m8

dave

Last edited by davebris33; 08-28-2009 at 06:55 PM.