Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-27-2009, 12:49 PM   #1

Jumping into the deep end

Hello everyone!

I just recently decided to adopt a new hobby (sadly an expensive one ). After testing a lot of cameras from Sony, Canon and Nikon I finally found a winner in the K-7 that seemed to deliver unrivaled value. I paired the K-7 with a Pentax DA 16-45mm f/4 lens.

So as I mentioned I am extremely new at this and am still trying to come to grips with things like exposures, aperture, white balance and shutter speed. I only have one lens so far and already I am finding it limiting but I broke the bank on the initial purchase so additional lenses will have to wait till probably Christmas time.

Anyway enough blabbing here are a few shots I have taken so far

08-27-2009, 01:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looking good so far. Welcome to the forum!
08-27-2009, 01:43 PM   #3
Millionth Poster!

A good start indeed. Welcome
08-27-2009, 01:49 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Fine shots. I think it is positive to start out with one lens, and get to know it. Maybe supply it with a fast fifty later, and via manual operation, you'll learn even more about exposure, etc. (A-series lenses are the easiest, here is a good link : http://kmp.bdimitrov.de)
Welcome to the forum

08-27-2009, 01:59 PM   #5
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome and you've hit the ground running with some cool captures.
A fast fifty would be handy for you (relatively cheap yet fast and sharp lens), though if you were really keen on macros, you may want one of the Pentax 50 macros.
Enjoy your new hobby! You're in lots of good company here!
08-27-2009, 03:28 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looks like you've already gone to the dogs. Lens buying addiction (LBA) will get you soon enought but you've got much better than a good start with what you've got already. Learn to use your camera and if this is your first SLR experience, focus on understanding ISO, aperture, shutter speed, and white balance and how you use them to get a desired result. You might want to just shoot in manual mode first - it's a bit hard a first but it's a way for you really learn how to use your camera by getting the image right in the camera first.
08-27-2009, 03:35 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by johnnyblades Quote
I just recently decided to adopt a new hobby (sadly an expensive one ).

After testing a lot of cameras from Sony, Canon and Nikon I finally found a winner in the K-7 that seemed to deliver unrivaled value. I paired the K-7 with a Pentax DA 16-45mm f/4 lens.

So as I mentioned I am extremely new at this and am still trying to come to grips with things like exposures, aperture, white balance and shutter speed. I only have one lens so far and already I am finding it limiting but I broke the bank on the initial purchase so additional lenses will have to wait till probably Christmas time.

It can be expensive. But it really doesn't have to be TOO expensive. Lens-buying addiction ("LBA") can be a problem, but there are a few folks who seem to be strong enough to resist. You've got a very good lens in that 16-45 f/4: it's one of my favorite and most-used lenses. Remember that some of the great photographers of the past managed to make history with just one focal length!

And when you do get some spare cash, don't forget to visit the market forum here. I've sold a lot of lenses on eBay but I prefer to sell here knowing that the lens is going to a good home, and you'll find that the buyers here are a good lot. Great lenses available at good bargains.

Anyway, I really liked your pics. Welcome to the forum!

Will
08-28-2009, 11:18 AM   #8
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, question is are you pleased with the results, looking good from here.