Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2009, 12:53 PM   #1

Hi!

Back in the 80's and 90's I took lots of pictures with an old K1000, then bought my first digital in 1999. It was a "point and shoot" and through various twiks and tweets I made it do all kinds of tricks -- I loved it for all its 1.3 Megapixels worth. When I got into cameras for a living I began to salivate over the the DSLRs I handled and sold everyday. And finally I got hold of my K10D in May. I've wanted one for two years!

I've taken hundreds of "play shots" with it, as well as done some more serious stuff at a nephew's wedding, my family reunion, and the Air and Space Museum. What I REALLY want to do is take the thing to an air show or two or three. However, I refuse to drive...

George

09-01-2009, 02:23 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome here George.
You are a patient man.
You waited, and now you have a very capable dSLR on your hands.
Add a very cost-effective fast fifty (if you don't have one already) and you have the formula for all creative juices to flow...
Good to see you here and I hope you enjoy your time on the forum.
09-01-2009, 02:34 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you REALLY want to shoot an air show then stop talking about it and lets do it. No driving required. In 3 weeks there will be a weekend air show at Oceana Air Station in Virginia Beach. I have not seen the exact dates yet but it is always near the end of September. Take the train to Newport News and the shuttle bus over to Virginia Beach. Hotels are emptying out with tourists going home so plenty of room for you and your K10D. With luck, you can find a hotel with free shuttle service to the air show both days to save taxi fare. Now stop wishing and make some reservations.
09-01-2009, 02:42 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, sounds like your about to get stuck in, now you have the equipment.

09-01-2009, 02:44 PM   #5

Original Poster
Ash, as it turns out the 50 from my old K1000 works with my K10D -- although it's entirely manual and is thus only "fast" in one sense! Where exactly is Toowoomba down there?

Lee, nice suggestion. I didn't have the camera in time for the Armed Forces show at Andrews AFB and I didn't know there was a train to Virginia Beach. Hmmm.

George
09-01-2009, 02:56 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks, Kerrowdown. I've got four lenses, but I'm still learning. I used nothing but an SMC Pentax M-50mm ground for years back in the last millenium. It gives good results but it sure is more work than my other lenses!