Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2009, 04:13 AM   #1
New Member
Shnivae's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 4
Another Pentax user from Australia

Hey guys/girls!

New the the boards, but have been using my K10D for a couple of years now. I think I'm in love with the hulking beast :P

Surprising to see some Australian Pentax users. I think we've all thought we were the only ones. Especially surprising to see some from Perth!

I mostly do macro work. Thought of switching to Canon purely because of the MPE-65. But I've decided to stick with Pentax. I think I've invested too much money in the Pentax name to switch now any way. Nor can I get over how flimsy Canon/Nikon DSLRs feel.

I'll also do a bit of a shameless plug and stick my shnivae.deviantart.com account out there

Thanks for your time

09-07-2009, 05:11 AM   #2
Senior Member




Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Perth Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 293
Welcome to the forum. Lots of Aussies and Perth people here.
09-07-2009, 05:45 AM   #3
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
it wont be a surprise ounce you get to know the forums. Aussie and Kiwi Pentaxians are everywhere here, and they all add somethings special to the forums. I stopped using DA a long time ago, but I will be happy to check your page. have you checked out some of the offerings from Pentax for macro work? I would always recommend a MF lens compared to an AF, but Pentax has some really great options for both. welcome to the forums by the way.


EDIT: I see you are using the Tamron 90mm. that is an excellent lens, and could rival anything from the canon in the right hands. of course the 5x of the canon is something to boast about. neat lens that one.
09-07-2009, 05:52 AM   #4
New Member
Shnivae's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 4
Original Poster
Thanks guys. Good to know there are plenty of Aussies!

But yeah, the 90mm is a great lens. Once you get your flash set up correctly it can produce some amazing shots.

The only reason I would change to Canon would be for the MPE-65 as I said. A lens that can go up to 5:1.. I can only manage maybe 2:1 with the 90mm and extension tubes!

09-07-2009, 06:12 AM   #5
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
QuoteOriginally posted by Shnivae Quote
Thanks guys. Good to know there are plenty of Aussies!

But yeah, the 90mm is a great lens. Once you get your flash set up correctly it can produce some amazing shots.

The only reason I would change to Canon would be for the MPE-65 as I said. A lens that can go up to 5:1.. I can only manage maybe 2:1 with the 90mm and extension tubes!
if you are really into macro work, using a tripod and setting up your shots carefully, have you ever considered using a bellows? its not the most convenient option (and this is of course where I applaud the MPE-65) but you can get stunning results and magnification greater than 5x. its an option a lot of people still utilize for macro work.
09-07-2009, 06:23 AM   #6
New Member
Shnivae's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Posts: 4
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
if you are really into macro work, using a tripod and setting up your shots carefully, have you ever considered using a bellows? its not the most convenient option (and this is of course where I applaud the MPE-65) but you can get stunning results and magnification greater than 5x. its an option a lot of people still utilize for macro work.

To be honest I can't really use a tripod. I mean, I have one, but the kind of shots I go after make it impossible for me to use one.
I wouldn't have a hope in hell of taking some of the shots I've gotten in the past.
The subject just moves around to much for me to be bunkered down in one position. There are a lot of techniques you can use to steady your macro shots whilst shooting hand held. A lot of them come from dalantech. I've learnt a lot from him!
Unfortunately though, he uses a Canon :P

As for using bellows I wouldn't really know where to start. I understand it isn't the type of thing you can buy at your local camera house any more, can you?
09-07-2009, 06:27 AM   #7
Banned




Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Savannah, U.S./Baguio City, P.H.
Posts: 5,979
QuoteOriginally posted by Shnivae Quote
To be honest I can't really use a tripod. I mean, I have one, but the kind of shots I go after make it impossible for me to use one.
I wouldn't have a hope in hell of taking some of the shots I've gotten in the past.
The subject just moves around to much for me to be bunkered down in one position. There are a lot of techniques you can use to steady your macro shots whilst shooting hand held. A lot of them come from dalantech. I've learnt a lot from him!
Unfortunately though, he uses a Canon :P

As for using bellows I wouldn't really know where to start. I understand it isn't the type of thing you can buy at your local camera house any more, can you?
no it isn't, and I wouldn't advise using them without a tripod. it was just a thought, but I dont think it would be an ideal setup for you if you dont use a tripod.
09-07-2009, 07:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member
goddo31's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Perth, Western Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 2,295
Hey Shnivae, welcome from another Perth Aussie

09-07-2009, 01:17 PM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter
Kerrowdown's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Highlands of Scotland.
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 33,163
Welcome, there's a few folk from down under here.
09-07-2009, 02:09 PM   #10
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter
Ash's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Toowoomba, Queensland
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 22,696
G'day Shnivae.
Welcome and enjoy your time here.
I'd also suggest you get savvy with using the tripod - you may not always need it for macro work in good light, but there will be times that your K10D just won't give you a sharp enough image without a tripod, particularly doing macro work.

But keep at it, you have some nice images there.
09-19-2009, 07:38 PM   #11
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Perth, Australia
Posts: 180
QuoteOriginally posted by garth1948 Quote
Welcome to the forum. Lots of Aussies and Perth people here.
Make that another one

I'm also new to the forums and a member from Perth, Australia

Sorry for highjacking the thread.
09-19-2009, 09:14 PM   #12
New Member




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Bendigo Central Victoria
Posts: 6
Hello and welcome I,m also new and from Victoria. This Forum seems like one great and friendly place to be.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
pentax, pentax user
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-X new user from Australia` benshines Welcomes and Introductions 1 01-25-2010 10:57 AM
New User - Australia day photos goddo31 Post Your Photos! 9 02-20-2009 04:58 PM
Still not a Pentax user... ntx Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 17 02-12-2009 12:46 PM
New Pentax user here.. mikieson Welcomes and Introductions 4 02-22-2008 04:45 PM
New Brisbane, Qld, Australia User lithos Welcomes and Introductions 1 10-18-2007 05:42 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:47 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top