Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-07-2009, 04:13 AM   #1

Another Pentax user from Australia

Hey guys/girls!

New the the boards, but have been using my K10D for a couple of years now. I think I'm in love with the hulking beast :P

Surprising to see some Australian Pentax users. I think we've all thought we were the only ones. Especially surprising to see some from Perth!

I mostly do macro work. Thought of switching to Canon purely because of the MPE-65. But I've decided to stick with Pentax. I think I've invested too much money in the Pentax name to switch now any way. Nor can I get over how flimsy Canon/Nikon DSLRs feel.

I'll also do a bit of a shameless plug and stick my shnivae.deviantart.com account out there

Thanks for your time

09-07-2009, 05:11 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum. Lots of Aussies and Perth people here.
09-07-2009, 05:45 AM   #3
Banned

it wont be a surprise ounce you get to know the forums. Aussie and Kiwi Pentaxians are everywhere here, and they all add somethings special to the forums. I stopped using DA a long time ago, but I will be happy to check your page. have you checked out some of the offerings from Pentax for macro work? I would always recommend a MF lens compared to an AF, but Pentax has some really great options for both. welcome to the forums by the way.

EDIT: I see you are using the Tamron 90mm. that is an excellent lens, and could rival anything from the canon in the right hands. of course the 5x of the canon is something to boast about. neat lens that one.
09-07-2009, 05:52 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks guys. Good to know there are plenty of Aussies!

But yeah, the 90mm is a great lens. Once you get your flash set up correctly it can produce some amazing shots.

The only reason I would change to Canon would be for the MPE-65 as I said. A lens that can go up to 5:1.. I can only manage maybe 2:1 with the 90mm and extension tubes!

09-07-2009, 06:12 AM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Shnivae Quote
Thanks guys. Good to know there are plenty of Aussies!

But yeah, the 90mm is a great lens. Once you get your flash set up correctly it can produce some amazing shots.

The only reason I would change to Canon would be for the MPE-65 as I said. A lens that can go up to 5:1.. I can only manage maybe 2:1 with the 90mm and extension tubes!
if you are really into macro work, using a tripod and setting up your shots carefully, have you ever considered using a bellows? its not the most convenient option (and this is of course where I applaud the MPE-65) but you can get stunning results and magnification greater than 5x. its an option a lot of people still utilize for macro work.
09-07-2009, 06:23 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
if you are really into macro work, using a tripod and setting up your shots carefully, have you ever considered using a bellows? its not the most convenient option (and this is of course where I applaud the MPE-65) but you can get stunning results and magnification greater than 5x. its an option a lot of people still utilize for macro work.

To be honest I can't really use a tripod. I mean, I have one, but the kind of shots I go after make it impossible for me to use one.
I wouldn't have a hope in hell of taking some of the shots I've gotten in the past.
The subject just moves around to much for me to be bunkered down in one position. There are a lot of techniques you can use to steady your macro shots whilst shooting hand held. A lot of them come from dalantech. I've learnt a lot from him!
Unfortunately though, he uses a Canon :P

As for using bellows I wouldn't really know where to start. I understand it isn't the type of thing you can buy at your local camera house any more, can you?
09-07-2009, 06:27 AM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Shnivae Quote
To be honest I can't really use a tripod. I mean, I have one, but the kind of shots I go after make it impossible for me to use one.
I wouldn't have a hope in hell of taking some of the shots I've gotten in the past.
The subject just moves around to much for me to be bunkered down in one position. There are a lot of techniques you can use to steady your macro shots whilst shooting hand held. A lot of them come from dalantech. I've learnt a lot from him!
Unfortunately though, he uses a Canon :P

As for using bellows I wouldn't really know where to start. I understand it isn't the type of thing you can buy at your local camera house any more, can you?
no it isn't, and I wouldn't advise using them without a tripod. it was just a thought, but I dont think it would be an ideal setup for you if you dont use a tripod.
09-07-2009, 07:47 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Hey Shnivae, welcome from another Perth Aussie

09-07-2009, 01:17 PM   #9
Moderator PEG Judges
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, there's a few folk from down under here.
09-07-2009, 02:09 PM   #10
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

G'day Shnivae.
Welcome and enjoy your time here.
I'd also suggest you get savvy with using the tripod - you may not always need it for macro work in good light, but there will be times that your K10D just won't give you a sharp enough image without a tripod, particularly doing macro work.

But keep at it, you have some nice images there.
09-19-2009, 07:38 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by garth1948 Quote
Welcome to the forum. Lots of Aussies and Perth people here.
Make that another one

I'm also new to the forums and a member from Perth, Australia

Sorry for highjacking the thread.
09-19-2009, 09:14 PM   #12

Hello and welcome I,m also new and from Victoria. This Forum seems like one great and friendly place to be.