Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-13-2009, 04:42 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Greetings!

My name is Peter, I am 28 years old and I live in The Netherlands. My hobbies include hifi, travelling, and - since a while - photography. Although I still have a lot to learn on that subject.

I used to make photos with a Canon PowerShot A610 point&shoot, but after a few years I felt I hit the limits of what that camera could do. I wanted a good viewfinder, more control over the DOF, wider wideangle and overall better image quality.

So in the spring I bought a used Pentax K100D Super with kitlens. I also bought the DA 55-300 telezoom lens to go with it. I especially like the feel and sense of control the DSLR offers. In the near future I will be looking to replace the kitlens, since CA and falloff performance are not great. Also I might buy a used K20D and sell my K100D, now that people are moving to K-7s. But that all depends on the price.

What photos do i make... well I'm still kind of a vacation photographer. But vacation often takes me to interesting countries (this year it was Vietnam). Also, I like airshows, for which the telezoom is well-suited. And I'm interested in urbex photography, although I haven't looked at suitable locations yet.

09-13-2009, 06:34 AM   #2
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, that's a great place for a holiday, do you have any images.
09-13-2009, 07:06 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum. You have got two good zooms already (the DA55-300 surprised me positively, me being a prime person and a long time zoom sceptic). Get a close up filter set for it (+1,+2,+3) and you can cut down the minima focus distance and get it working quite well for macro until you can get a dedicated macro lens. That being said, a fast prime would be my next shopping in your shoes: why not look for a used M50/1.7 or A50/1.7?
If you switch to a K20D you will find that it has a heck of a sensor, and they go for good prices now. As you say, lots of people switch to K-7. But don't go into the trap of always dreaming about the next gear. Most important is to shoot with what you have.
I don't know about HIFI, but travelling and photo is a great combo. There is one point there: the K100D is a much more compact travelling camera than the K20D.
Good luck! Looking forward to see you post some pictures.
09-13-2009, 09:08 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Douglas_of_Sweden Quote
Welcome to the forum. You have got two good zooms already (the DA55-300 surprised me positively, me being a prime person and a long time zoom sceptic). Get a close up filter set for it (+1,+2,+3) and you can cut down the minima focus distance and get it working quite well for macro until you can get a dedicated macro lens. That being said, a fast prime would be my next shopping in your shoes: why not look for a used M50/1.7 or A50/1.7?
If you switch to a K20D you will find that it has a heck of a sensor, and they go for good prices now. As you say, lots of people switch to K-7. But don't go into the trap of always dreaming about the next gear. Most important is to shoot with what you have.
I don't know about HIFI, but travelling and photo is a great combo. There is one point there: the K100D is a much more compact travelling camera than the K20D.
Good luck! Looking forward to see you post some pictures.
Well I can always photograph my hifi-equipment. But it would make for some boring pictures I believe . But, err... what is a close-up set? (and how does it work?)

About the K20D.. it is indeed somewhat larger than the K100D. But compared to my P&S, both are large and heavy . Still, a K-7 is smaller and lighter and very advanced... but also pretty expensive.

I actually have been thinking about a fast prime. I would then have to zoom by walking towards or away from the subject. But, a zoom lens is more convenient as a general-purpose lens. And when traveling, that counts as well. I was thinking about the Tamron 17-50 2.8, since it is already pretty fast for a zoom lens. Or a 17-70, such as the Sigma or Pentax. But they are both slower.

Anyways, thank you for welcoming me.

09-13-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, glad to have you join us. I'm sure if you bought the K20D you'd soon get used to the weight and would find it an excellent camera, I know I did.
09-14-2009, 12:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I think I might actually go for a fast 50mm prime. Didn't realize they get as cheap as they do (found one on ebay for 48 euros ). I can then play around a bit before deciding whether to buy a better standard zoom lens. I especially like the fact that the max aperture is f/1,7. (My P&S still has an edge in that area compared to my DSLR: f/2.8 at min. zoom)
09-16-2009, 12:46 AM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
I think I might actually go for a fast 50mm prime. Didn't realize they get as cheap as they do (found one on ebay for 48 euros ). I can then play around a bit before deciding whether to buy a better standard zoom lens. I especially like the fact that the max aperture is f/1,7. (My P&S still has an edge in that area compared to my DSLR: f/2.8 at min. zoom)
I think you would have great fun with a manual focus 50mm!

A close up filter set usually consist of 3 (sometimes more) filters that can be attach to the front of a lens. They are simply filters of different enlargement factors that allow you to take photos closer to the subject (reducing the minima focus distance) at a higher macro factor. It is a cheap way to get more macro capacity. You can of course buy a single close up filter, but it usually good to have a set.