Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2009, 07:29 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Digital imaging using Takumars in Kentucky

I've already posted some reviews & comments, but let me say why I'm here.

I'm a computer engineering professor at the University of Kentucky, known mostly for my work in cluster supercomputing. However, I actually got paid for my photography back when I was an undergrad. For the past decade or so, I have been combining computing and photography -- doing research toward improving the abilities and qualities of digital cameras and image processing.

Although I used a Pentax Spotmatic in the 1970s, I used many cameras then in 135, 6X6, and 4X5 formats, and most often I used a Minolta SRT-101 and an XK. I use lots of different makes of digital cameras now, mostly Sony DSLRs, but currently I don't happen to have any Pentax digitals.

So, why am I suddenly on PentaxForums? Because I tried using an old 55mm f/1.8 Super Takumar on my Sony DSLRs and I was frankly blown away. I thought modern zooms were more than competitive with old primes in IQ, but very few are, and DSLRs now have enough pixels to make it painfully obvious.

Takumars were really good optics in the 1970s, and their characteristics make them better for digital than they were for film -- and M42 means I can mount them on anything. Yeah, M42 manual focus primes are slow and painful to use, but there are plenty of times I don't really mind the inconvenience. So, that's why I'm here. I've collected about a dozen M42 prime lenses so far, mostly Takumars.

Incidentally, the first old M42 I tried on a DSLR, the 55mm f/1.8 Super Takumar I used in the 1970s, is still the sharpest lens I have ever tested on a DSLR.

09-15-2009, 08:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum! I'm sure you've seen the Takumar Club already - it's the place to be for Taks...
09-16-2009, 11:05 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, I don't know that there is many Profs in here, so enjoy what the forum has to offer.