Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-18-2009, 06:43 PM   #1

Learn Photography Tips

I have just bought a new DSLR and I cannot wait to learn how to use it. One of my hobbies before is photo manipulation. I love to use the photoshop tips and tricks I have learned over the years but now I'm ready to take my own pictures. But if you want to share any photoshop techniques you know of, I welcome them. Thanks!

Also if you have any links so I can download photoshop brushes, I appreciate them.

Thanks again!

09-19-2009, 11:07 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Welcome to the forum, have you googled paint brushes for PS.
09-20-2009, 06:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the forum, hope you enjoy your time with us.
09-20-2009, 09:48 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Look forward to your contributions.

Welcome to the forum and hope we can be of some help.

09-20-2009, 10:28 PM   #5
pbo
Veteran Member

There are two "branches" in Photoshop use I know of - one for graphic artists, another for photographers. They use two sets of tools, that don't really coincide that much. I would say the manipulation they talk about around internet is more kind of graphic-artist-wise stuff?
Anyways, what I'm trying to say is, you'll learn a lot of new stuff even just in Photoshop, not to mention photography in general
Interestingly enough, among brushes, the standard round one was all I needed for PSing. We (well, I, at least) don't use them for drawing on the actual pictures, but using brushes is more of a convenient way to change layer masks...
09-22-2009, 07:30 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Welcome to the forum, have you googled paint brushes for PS.
Yup! Did exactly that.
09-22-2009, 07:33 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
There are two "branches" in Photoshop use I know of - one for graphic artists, another for photographers. They use two sets of tools, that don't really coincide that much. I would say the manipulation they talk about around internet is more kind of graphic-artist-wise stuff?
Anyways, what I'm trying to say is, you'll learn a lot of new stuff even just in Photoshop, not to mention photography in general
Interestingly enough, among brushes, the standard round one was all I needed for PSing. We (well, I, at least) don't use them for drawing on the actual pictures, but using brushes is more of a convenient way to change layer masks...
Hmm... that is interesting to know. Right now I want to learn the basics of photoshop. Just for fixing my pictures or emphasizing parts of my photographs.

By the way, I also heard that custom signature brushes can be created in Photoshop. Would you suggest that? I learned that some photographers use layers to add their signature in a photo but I believe using custom brushes might be easier. What do you guys think?

09-22-2009, 02:40 PM   #8
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
Hmm... that is interesting to know. Right now I want to learn the basics of photoshop. Just for fixing my pictures or emphasizing parts of my photographs.
Basics? Google up levels, curves, and USM. It's all free (btw, I'm not sure, but I don't think you can put an advertisement in your sig)

QuoteQuote:
By the way, I also heard that custom signature brushes can be created in Photoshop. Would you suggest that? I learned that some photographers use layers to add their signature in a photo but I believe using custom brushes might be easier. What do you guys think?
Why custom brush? You feel like putting manually your sig on every single picture you go through? I'm pretty sure most of the people just batch-process stuff in PS. I never did that, though.