Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-25-2009, 11:09 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Hello from Dallas, TX

...where I'll be for the next 8 months.

I just graduated myself from psuedo- dslr land (Minolta Dimage7i) last week with a k10d that I picked up with a tamron 28-200 and quantaray 70-300 for $400USD (including a nice case but no charger). I've a sears 135mm f2.8 ($11 shipped) coming in the mail and will hopefully pick up a 50mm 1.7 or 2.0 pentax-a this weekend and the hoods missing from my zooms. Hopefully that will be all for now.

Anyway, I wanted to confess to my first noob mistake(s): I ran a 8" ISO 400 jpg through "deadpixeltest" _before_ the purchase and it reported "0" hot pixels. Surprised but happy, I bought the camera.

So, a few days pass (waiting for a new charger) and I was raw pixel peeping a bit and noticed a couple hot pixels after updating to firmware 1.3. I ran DPT again on a ufraw-generated tiff and it reported thousands. EEK! Turns out there is something funny with ufraw TIF output in my hands that DPT didn't like. Same raw saved as a TIF in GIMP and (drumroll) ....about 5 hot pixels. Anyway, after all that panic and a little RTFM, I realize that 8" was long enough for the camera to decide to do a black frame and its own subtraction. Very glad it wasn't worse.

I was convinced that the PO had a noisy sensor mapped clean and the new rom deleted the mapping.

More stupid stories to follow...

PS- the "lens review database" is fantastic and unbelievably helpful! Thanks.
PPS- do you leave noise filtering on if you are going to process the raw file anyway?

09-25-2009, 12:40 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome here.
What a great buy you found. The fast fifty you have planned is a definite must.
You won't be disappointed.

Hot pixels are a part of dSLR life - once they're mapped out they can be forgotten.
But NR does have its place, yep, even when shooting RAW.
Dark frame subtraction as well as high-ISO noise reduction to me is essential for my K20D - it tends to get a little noisy with my long exposures even at ISO 250...
Enjoy the gear!
09-25-2009, 01:18 PM   #3
aka

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Welcome here.
What a great buy you found.
It seemed like a great buy (about 1000 shutter actuations- it looks new) and I was concerned it was stolen but seeing the guys house (mini-mansion) and the amount of dust on the outside of the UV filter, it had clearly been shelfed unused since almost new. It was something his mother was letting him sell for pocket money or something.

Thanks once more for the noise-reduction answer.
09-25-2009, 05:03 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome aboard, glad you could join us. Sounds like you made a good buy!!

09-26-2009, 01:25 AM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome aboard, enjoy the forum.