Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-30-2009, 12:06 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Howdy from Texas

Hello everyone. People like to call me Brian Starr. I am new here. I am also new to the world of Pentax. My previous camera was a Samsung Pro-815 (non-SLR). Great for a starter four years ago, but extremely lacking in features and options, especially considering what camera's offer now. After reading reviews for the past couple of months, I got myself a K-7 about five days ago.

One thing I am realizing now that I have the Pentax, is that I know absolutely nothing about lenses. My previous Samsung had a 28-420mm lens that you could not change out. So I was limited to using just that lens.

At the moment, I just have the 18-55 WR kit lens. I plan to get the 55-300 DA next. After I do some more reading and research here, and learn what I need to know, I will look into other faster lenses.

I like to shoot pretty much anything. Wildlife, sports, etc... Mainly though, I shoot photos at car shows and car related events.

Back in March, I was invited to shoot photos trackside at a big drag racing event. Once there, I soon realized that I didn't have the camera or equipment that was needed to do so. That's when I went on the hunt to find something better that I can do more with.

I purchased the K-7 in hopes of pushing my photography way beyond cars, and learning everything I possibly can about it. I know my way around Photoshop enough to get me by, and now look forward to growing as a photographer and meeting everyone here.

Sorry for the book-long post. This originally started out as "hey from Texas, I have a K-7".

So yeah, Howdy from Galveston, Tx.

09-30-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi there Brian,

welcome to the forums! There is much to learn about lenses and which will best suit you. There are many, many helpful folks in here that will steer you in the right direction. Head over to the beginners Q&A (https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-beginners-corner-q/) and start a thread or do some research on threads started by others on lenses for beginners or subject matter.

Best of luck with photography! And if you get the chance, check out the Project 52 in the mini challenges section. If you want to grow as a photographer, these mini/weekly challenges will definitely help you do that. It's been priceless for my growth just in the past year. I look forward to seeing your stuff.
09-30-2009, 01:14 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
G'day Brian.
Congrats on the K-7 - you'll find it an excellent tool.
Enjoy the forum and keep practicing.
Do post some of your best on the forum once in a while too!
09-30-2009, 02:56 PM   #4
Moderator PEG Judges

Welcome to the forum, check out the lens review sections in here, it may give you some extra desires.

09-30-2009, 04:47 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Hello everyone. People like to call me Brian Starr.
Why? :-)

QuoteQuote:
One thing I am realizing now that I have the Pentax, is that I know absolutely nothing about lenses.
Yep. That happened to me too. You will find this forum a terrific resource.

QuoteQuote:
At the moment, I just have the 18-55 WR kit lens. I plan to get the 55-300 DA next.
Well, you might want to give yourself some time, ask some questions, and think about it. Doing so might save you a lot of money. I don't want to talk about how much money I spent on lenses that I later sold because they weren't really the right choice to start with. Your 18-55 is a nice lens and could keep you happy for a while depending on what you are shooting.

QuoteQuote:
I like to shoot pretty much anything. Wildlife, sports, etc... Mainly though, I shoot photos at car shows and car related events.
Cool.

QuoteQuote:
Sorry for the book-long post. This originally started out as "hey from Texas, I have a K-7".
Don't worry. You'll have to go a good ways to compete with me in the length department.

QuoteQuote:
So yeah, Howdy from Galveston, Tx.
Howdy back at you. We're now in Dallas since 2003, but the twenty years before that, my wife and I were down in Houston and used to spend time in Galveston whenever we could. Love Gaidos, the Galvez, and the San Luis.

Will
09-30-2009, 07:03 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ha, I didn't realize that someone else titled their intro "Howdy from Tx" before I made mine. Sorry for the duplicate thread titles, lol.

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Why? :-)

That's my name.

Have you been to Galveston since Ike?
10-05-2009, 01:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by r0ckstarr Quote
Have you been to Galveston since Ike?
No. We were down in Houston this last weekend to see the Terra Cotta Warriors exhibit at the Museum of Natural Science before it leaves Texas for Washington, D.C., and while there we visited our favorite Chinese restaurant (Peking Cuisine) and our favorite Mexican restaurant (Ninfa's on Navigation St) but we did not have time to go further down 45 to visit the Island. Later in the year maybe.

Will
10-05-2009, 02:19 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
If it's of interest to you, I published a book covering the destruction from Hurricane Ike. I have a big chapter devoted to Galveston in the book. Click the link in my sig, and then click the preview link. You can see the whole book as a free preview. Each chapter is sorted by city. Just skip ahead to Galveston. I was in Galveston a few days before the short lived "look and leave policy". I also got back in a couple days later when they let business owners in to assess the damage, so the pictures you see are pretty soon after the storm. Some right as clean-up began.

Dunno if you know or not, but the Balinese is completely gone. The owner doesn't have any plans to rebuild at the moment. Murdochs Bathhouse got torn apart (but is now rebuilt and in the process of getting ready to re-open).

Here's a look at how some of the homes on the West end of the island look exactly 1 year after Ike hit. It was alot worse right after the storm, and many people have repaired their homes, but some still remain uninhabitable. Also notice, the roads have all been washed away.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/r0ckstarr/sets/72157622210713531/

10-06-2009, 10:22 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Brian,

Just took a quick look at a few pages in the book. Wow! I had never seen anything this extensive. The major news outlets always show the same handful of images. My wife will be interested in this too so we'll peruse later. Thanks for the link.

Will
10-07-2009, 06:07 PM   #10
Inactive Account

WOW, i bet i could friggin learn a ton about shooting sports and moving stuff from you. i am in TN, we are actually moving to Amarillo next week for work. I bought the K20D to take on our trip out west and want to get good pics but i totally suck at it so far. can u give any tips on shooting the canyons and stuff out there? settings and zoom needs? i have the basic camera with the kit lens i think it's called.....see? i am helpless. nice to meet ya!
10-08-2009, 05:46 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome Brian.
I'm looking forward to seeing what you can do with car photos
Congrats on getting a K-7 also.

Maggie - I suggest you post your queries in the beginners Q&A section
10-08-2009, 02:39 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks goddo.

Maggie, I propose the same suggestion about posting in the beginners section. There's a wealth of info and people in there than can help way more than one person can.