Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-10-2009, 07:17 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Greetings from SoCal

Hi all,

I'm a new Pentaxian-to-be. I first got my hands on a Nikon 35mm SLR about 15 years ago, then went digital with Canon in 2005. Underwhelmed as I was with my Canon 350D's lackluster color rendition and the limitations of its 28-105 USM zoom, I was primed for a change.

Here's how I got on to Pentax. Not long ago I was in a Ritz store that was getting ready to close and got to check out a nice, compact Pentax DSLR kit. Wish I'd paid attention to the model number, and really wish I'd plunked down a mere $400 for the body and two lenses. (Maybe it was a K2000?) It would have been perfect for travel--currently I take a Panasonic FZ-20 5mp superzoom on trips, as the Canon with its big lens and big flash is just too much kit.

Since then I've lurked this forum and looked at a bunch of online reviews. I am impressed with the K-x--especially liking the idea of the 18-55/50-300 setup--yet really love the idea of a weather-sealed body. So I've ordered BOTH the K200D ($379) and K20 ($500) refurbs from Best Buy. Also a Pentax 18-250 DA lens ($340) and Pentax 360 strobe ($195) from Ritz through Amazon. One of the backs will have to be returned and I think it will be the heavier, bulkier K20D. Eventually will get some DA* or at least WR lenses to round things out. I like the Pentax concept of in-body shake reduction a lot, as it greatly increases the utility of just about any lens.

As far as bodies go, I will perhaps be looking at some future weather-sealed sister of the K-x, as my wife would disown me immediately if she saw yet another DSLR arrive. (Will I regret settling for a super-inexpensive, yet generation-old body now?)

My day job is ridiculously demanding and time-consuming, so I have not even scratched the surface of digital photography. I can use TTL bounce- and fill-flash to good advantage, and enjoy venturing beyond basic program modes. Very occasionally I capture a really nice shot--mostly of landscapes and people. Macro is still to come.

That's my story. Suggestions for a nice MacOS X program to work with RAW image files? Opinions on my choice of equipment?

10-13-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Was it something I said? (Maybe should not have mentioned C**** and N**** by name...) :-0

Still need to decide which body to keep--K20d vs. K200D--or wait for K-x. Tough call. Anyway, enjoying the site a lot and hoping for good advice from more experienced members.
10-13-2009, 06:33 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome here mate.
Sometimes threads pass people by - don't take it so hard.
Your equipment choices are fine, but it's personal - you've chosen what's best for you. But why would you return the K20D? - just for weight? It's a fine body (if I do say so myself!), and has just that much more customisability than the K200D - I couldn't fault either, though. Another personal choice.

Lenses are the more important factor, but it all depends on the application.

There's lots of advise you can just click onto using the Pentax Beginner's section, Camera and Lens Review database and Articles section in the forum.

Happy deciding!