Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-13-2009, 12:06 PM   #1

longevity of your system.. Starting off well !

Helllo.

I'm Duarte.. , a Portuguese currently in NZ, and i am new to the forum.

Hello EVERYONE..

My first post would be to pick up where i am right now :

-> buy the K20D body..

OR

-> wait it out a bit and get the Nikon D300

I myself being a Pentax fan would go for the almost one third of the price _ K20D but i am worried as about the longevitiy of my future system.

I know that FF bodies will lower the price level..in a couple of years time.. and i believe that i will get into the Full Frame format later on.. most probably :

I focus on
_ #1 - portrait (also in landscape).. ;

_ #2 - artistic shots because i work in the arts world_ being a musician/composer

_ #3 bulidings , landscapes and design details, now that i began studying Architecture , and will major in a few years.

I reckon that i should get an all rounder..

I like the K20D cos it is way cheap -> around €500 currently and because it is great for portrait.. chrome distortion is low.. sharpeness and contrast are great and it is a great camera to carry around (due to protection against humidity and dust) and above all to grip and feel in your hands.
Plus its got body-stabilization.

On the downside :

#1 - i usually shoot without the use of flash.. and i really need to get a quick camera on low light conditions..
Afterall... who isnt always looking for that no-flash and natural portrait shot.. either on a bar..on a gig.. on stage..off stage..with some friends... with strangers ..whatever ?

#2 - as i said.. i will probably go into FF sensor later on.. and therefor i am in deed a little reluctant to spend my money on a few Pentax lenses that will later not fit into any other full frame that not K-mount... although Samsung as been rumoured to be releasing a K-mount FF in the future.

Lenses wise :

my game being on lenses no higher than €1000 ..
I will probably get a couple of wide lenses .. like 10-24mm ;
.the Sigma 10-20 looks cool too ;
. the Pentax SMC-FA 31mm F1.8 A looks great too..

. a 50mm smc FA 1:1,4 or a wider one ..

Most probably the 10-17mm Pentax fish eye as well .. or a Nikon similar.

and maybe a 70-200 .... maybe..

as for Macro.. i like the

Sigma APO MACRO 150mm F2.8 EX DG HSM

and the

Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG MACRO

ALL this being said.. I am very undecided as to get the K20D right away.. and a not so expensive lense like the Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG MACRO ..

OR

wait .. a bit .. save a little more dough and get the Nikon d300 (i have no need for the video option)

If i get the K20d, i will keep using it until i feel i am ready for a FF.. and off course if one Pentax FF is available..
If i get the Nikon d300 i will probably stay with APS-C cos .. i dont think i will spend €1500 that soon.. even if the FFs price levels lower a lot.

Note : By the way.. if i spend more money to stretch for the K7.. i might as well get the D300.

PS : i know that at least some of the lenses i mentioned are APS-C only.. but i only wanted you guys to get the picture..

So... i will wait your thoughts on the matter.
Different opinions and intakes are always healthy ..

cheers,

thanks a lot

Duarte

PSS: i know that this is a Pentax forum... but i trust you guys to being impartial.

10-13-2009, 04:34 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Not sure if this is what you are looking for, by my strategy is to pay the big money on lens in general and focus on good, full frame compatible primes. For zoom lens I mostly have mid-range lens than are a mix of old manual lens and newer, consumer grade DA lens. That way if Pentax ever comes out with a full frame camera I can use some of my best primes (31mm, 77mm etc).