Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-29-2007, 11:37 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Wannabe photographer w/K100D

I just bought my first DSLR from BuyDig.com for about $200 less than I could find it at any store locally, after rebate it's gonna cost me $429. I am gonna get a Kingston Elite Pro SD card, a Lowepro bag, and was thinking about a UV and circular polarizing filters. I'm not professional photographer and have no aspirations, I just want a couple filters that can be worthy additions to my setup. Any suggesstions?

05-30-2007, 05:39 AM   #2

rkf, sounds like you got a good deal, especially if the 'kit' lens was included.

There's a lot of debate about using a UV filter to protect the front element of a lens. Some say it doesn't make sense to put another piece of glass in the optical path, others say it doesn't make a significant difference and it keeps the front element safe. IMO, both arguments have merit.

Whatever filters you get should be of known good quality so they do not degrade your images. So much can now be done to an image in post processing that a lot of filters are not strictly necessary.

That said, a circular polarizer is, IMO, necessary. Its functions cannot really be replicated in post production.

hth and please advise any questions.

Scottax1
05-30-2007, 06:30 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scottax1 Quote
rkf, sounds like you got a good deal, especially if the 'kit' lens was included.

There's a lot of debate about using a UV filter to protect the front element of a lens. Some say it doesn't make sense to put another piece of glass in the optical path, others say it doesn't make a significant difference and it keeps the front element safe. IMO, both arguments have merit.

Whatever filters you get should be of known good quality so they do not degrade your images. So much can now be done to an image in post processing that a lot of filters are not strictly necessary.

That said, a circular polarizer is, IMO, necessary. Its functions cannot really be replicated in post production.

hth and please advise any questions.

Scottax1
Being new to photography, I have no clue what are good brands and what aren't, any suggesstions?
05-30-2007, 07:30 PM   #4

Pentax , B+W, Heliopan, Hoya Pro. Always go for multicoated.

I'd avoid cheapies like Sunpak and Kenko. They may be OK, but maybe not so why take the risk?

KEH.com can be a good source for used ones. Note that they have an 'unpublished' shipping rate for small items that total less than $50 but you have to ask for it.

If you're comfortable with eekbay, a couple sellers have very good reputations:

besteastern

slphotogear (very reasonable shipping rates compared to other merchants)

hth/Scottax1