Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2007, 12:47 AM   #1

New to Pentax and DSLR from Nashville TN

Hi all,

Well, I just confirmed my order for a K10D kit and battery grip and even though its 2:45 AM here in Nashville I'm having a hard time going to sleep. The exitement is just too much! After *years* of waiting for the "right time" to buy a DSLR (which never seemed to arrive), I finally decided to pull the trigger and buy.

I learned to shoot using Dad's AE-1 in full manual mode (the class I took in college did not even allow auto aperature), and my regular camera is a Canon Elan IIe. I really wanted a Canon DSLR, but they seem to be lacking in features -- most notably ECF. Don't laugh, over the years I've perfected the "compose then stare" method of getting the right focus point and the fact that *none* of the DSLR cameras have this feature really did not sit well with me. Maybe I'm just a goof...

Imagine my pleasure over the last few weeks learning about the Pentax line of DSLR cameras and how much they try to preserve the feel of shooting real film. I shot some pictures with a friends K110D and was impressed but wanted the heft of the K10D.

This forum seems to be a real treasure chest of information and personality. I look forward to being part of your community and learning the nuances of this amazing camera.

Steve-O

05-30-2007, 02:25 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Hello and welcome to the forums! Im a newb myself. First of get some sleep. You'll be able to shoot better pictures later.
05-30-2007, 01:42 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hi Steve. Welcome to the forum. I'm a noob myself and also just purchased a K10D. I see you're from Nashville. I took the family there for vacation last summer. We did a few days in the city, a few days at Opryland, then a few days in Chattanooga. We drove out from NJ. You have some great country out there. Post some pics. I really miss TN
05-30-2007, 02:49 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Welcome. I'm new here too. Seems the new k series cameras are catching peoples attention. I have to agree with the previous poster... Nashville and Chattanooga are great cities. My wife did her graduate at Vanderbilt. Loved painter's alley and the river boats in Nashville and the whitewater rafting around Chattanooga!

05-30-2007, 07:40 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks, guys!

Small world, I am in graduate school myself at Vandy... so here's to the Ninja's wife and me both being 'dores! :cheers:

Smaller world, Jeff... I was born at Clark AFB near Manilla. My dad was in the U.S. Air Force, he used to take hops over to Tokyo to buy lenses for his AE-1. He got his super fancy 50mm f1.2 lens or something over there.

Thanks for the warm welcome, guys, Nashville is awesome and I really like it here in Middle TN. Hopefully this winter I can get some pics of the lights at Opryland Hotel (finally). What a sight that is!

Steve