Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2007, 02:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Friendly Hello from Newfoundland, Canada!

Great to see an official forum dedicated to Pentax!

Would like to say Hi to everyone from the Far East Coast of Canada all the way out in Portugal Cove, Newfoundland (nooh-fuhn-land) - You'd be surprised how many people say it wrong.

Today is an exciting day, 2nd Christmas only comes once a year! I'll be picking up my Pentax K100D Kit w/18-55 & 50-200mm lenses. As much as I enjoyed using my K1000, film and processing is just to costly especially for a beginner.

I only wish I was in the US as I'd save over $250+ vs. buying locally after tax with the huge rebate offer currently available, again only in the US. I called Pentax Canada yesterday inquiring about rebates for Canadian sales and Christine, the Marketing/Sales manager, said bluntly nothing is available. When asked if they will be offering any rebates in the future she mentioned probably in two months or more.

Oh well, I'm just glad to finally have a chance to use all my Pentax lenses again and have fun with a hobby I wanted to get into ever since I was 12 or younger. Have to practice before the wedding I'm shooting in July!

-GregW

05-31-2007, 05:40 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Congratulations on the new toys and welcome to the club.

Love Newfoundland, been out there a couple of times, I'd go back in an instant. Wife's family is from Whitbourne. Drove through Portugal cove on the way to Bell Island last spring.

Take lot's of shots & share!
05-31-2007, 08:51 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Dave! I'm actually right next to the water. The house was built last Summer on bedrock on the cliff, narrow road in front then a 40' vertical drop to the ocean. Awesome view from where I am. Bell Island is straight out the front windows so I get to watch the ferry all day when I'm home. I'm hoping for a really rough day again to cross on the boat just for something to do - can't complain for $2.75 for a 40min round trip ride just for a bit of fun.

A larger iceberg came in the bay earlier this morning and is now about 1km away. It's still moving closer my way. Hope to get pictures if it sticks around. There was a fair amount of ice around last month around, would have made a few awesome shots. Sea Kayakers were out in the mix of it, would have loved to do that.
05-31-2007, 10:23 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Ok, now you *have* to post pictures. Sounds beautiful. Always wanted to shoot an iceberg.

05-31-2007, 12:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm home, new k100D in my hands. Super price too, $649.99 or $740.99 taxes in. Pentax is dropping the price tomorrow but since I was going to buy the K100D 2 lens kit elsewhere he gave me a better price and better yet they send the camera off for warranty claims unlike Futureshop or Phototec that charge the customer.

Post pic's later - BTW Dave, it's not just one iceberg, I looked again and there are 4 very large ones - one being about 300-500m in lenght!!

Anyway, off to work.