Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2009, 11:20 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Wee Ha cowboys from west Texas

Hello, my name is Rebecca but everyone calls me Becky. I am a truly an amatuer at this whole photography thing. I will be completely honest I am doing this for two reasons. First I have always wanted to be a part of the photography world but never had the chance or the means to do so. And second this has become a form of therapy for me. I have a 12 year old son who I owe my entire life to. However, in November of 2000 I gave birth to a beautiful baby girl. My angel died 4 months later of SIDS and life as I knew it no longer made any sense. Even though I had my son I went through a terrible time of depression and suicidal tendencies. I turned to alcohol and in my eyes it helped me face the world until my then 4 year old son pointed out the fact that I was becomming an alcoholic. I watched him empty 2/3 of a fifth of whiskey, (at 10 a.m. already my second bottle) down the drain and I haven't touched it since. However the once brilliant colors of my life were nothing more than faded pastels. That was eight and a half years ago and I am barely able to attempt to go on with whats left of my life. I am now divorced,alone, and trying to raise a son in the depths of hell we call puberty. I know that is alot of information I guess I really just want to say is please forgive me my ignorance in all things photography related.

10-26-2009, 04:30 AM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums. I hope most of that is behind you. What type of gear do you have. What do you like to shoot?
10-26-2009, 05:22 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
First of all, thank you for responding. And second yes I do believe all of that is behind me now. I eagerly look foward to whatever the here and now brings. Afterall how are we able to see where we are going if we are always looking back?
Like I said I am just an amateur and so far my subjects are my son and my mini-dachsaund named Mojo. I have a Canon EOS Rebel K2, an old Minolta Hi-Matic 7's, and an old Vivitar XV-1,which I am still unable to find a user manual for. I have a variety of lenses that I am experimenting with. In order to escape the world I like to go arrowhead hunting, and I plan on photographing all of my finds. I plan on starting with the collection I already have just to play with the cameras a bit. I am enjoying them so far just having a hard time figureing out what all the numbers mean.
10-26-2009, 05:22 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Welcome Becky, from the western side of Australia.

Thank you for sharing your story, and I hope that photography can provide the relaxation and enjoyment for you, that it does for many others.
Look forward to seeing your photos.

cheers,

10-26-2009, 05:28 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Hi Funkqueen4, depression is a horrible debilitating disease, i understand first hand. I hope that you can come through this part of your life unharmed. Use photography to express your feelings, those good and bad and let it be an outlet for your anger, fear, love or any other emotional feelings good or bad shine through. you can reflect on your pictures at any time you choose, and if you like share them with us. I sincerely hope that your loneliness subsides and you can see through the darkness and make it out from the rock you seem to be under.
Taff
10-26-2009, 05:29 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you. It has already helped more than I can say, so I'm diving in feet first and praying there aren't any sharp rocks at the bottom. I hope to be able to post some of my pics by the end of the week. Hope today is a groovy one for you.
10-26-2009, 05:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Your welcome, all smiles here in oz. good luck
10-26-2009, 05:36 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you, you are so very kind. From where I stand I can see a pin point of light and I'm pretty sure it's the end of the tunnel. I will document my journey the good, the bad, the ugly, and the unexplainable. I hope to come out a little bruised but stronger.

10-26-2009, 07:52 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

The Canon is a nice camera. We do have what we would call an "off brand forum" here for non-Pentax shooters. But you are certainly welcome to share shots and get advice in the various forums.
Depending on the budget, you might even consider a digital SLR like the K-X with the 18-55mm lens at $649. Older vintage film gear still has some value on Ebay or places like KEH. In the long run, a digital camera is much cheaper. There's no film purchasing or developing cost involved. You only print the images you want. It's worth looking considering at some point.
10-26-2009, 06:46 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thank you for the advice. I will definitely keep that in mind. However me and modern day contraptions aren't that very well aquainted. I was able to completely hook up my computer but my son had to show me how to turn it on. Something I'm sure I'll never live down. So you really think digital is better? I feel older than I am.
10-26-2009, 07:06 PM   #11
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

No I never said digital is better. For many things film still has a place and with Black and White, film is still far superior. Just that it might be less expensive for you in the long run. Consider that the average cost of buying a roll of film the developing and printing is probably around $20.00. So after 30 or 40 rolls of film, you've paid for a digital camera. The cost of viewing images from it is zero. The only post shooting costs are a few prints you might make of some favourite images.
10-26-2009, 07:22 PM   #12
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome Becky - a deep story - glad to hear you're doing well now.
Enjoy the forum and keep learning - photography is a vocation you can enjoy both the process as well as celebrate in the results, for now and in the future.

Look forward to seeing more of you here.