Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-28-2009, 08:36 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Hi from DC

Hi pentax forums, my name is Matt and I am a photographer in DC.

I stumbled upon a 55mm 1.8 SMC Takumar in a box that was my grandfather's. I was immediately smitten with it because the lens is just beautiful, but my favorite aesthetic part is definitely the lens hood that has its own case! I decided I needed to find a body to work with the lens, which lead me to these forums. I just purchased a Spotmatic SP1000 and I'm pretty psyched to try it out.

I shoot mostly Nikon digital, but when I'm just out having fun I prefer to use my Olympus Om-2n. I love the feel, texture, and huge viewfinders of manual cameras. That's why I was so happy to find the takumar (gives me an excuse to pick up another classic body!).

I can't stand the NIkonians website so I'll probably just be hanging out here and putting in input where I can. I've been really impressed with how nice people are on this forums. I used to contribute for years to car forums and people were seriously cut throat there.

So... thanks for having me!

Matt

10-28-2009, 08:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome, the 55/1.8 is a great one, and if you wanted it you can use an M42 adapter on any Pentax digital body (and also some Canon, not sure how it works on them). Also, I find trap-AF highly useful with them. I have a number of screwmount lenses for use on my Pentax K-x - actually trying to collect some more highly praised cheap russian ones as of now, as well as some older K-mount primes. There is just something about using those taks. And they are built like tanks.

I've also found this is one of the most helpful communities and try to use that as a reason for newbies to go Pentax! Not sure if it worked any. Of course there is a Off-brand forum too, there are a number of non-Pentax shooters here. Everyone here still envies Nikon's flash metering system, btw.
10-28-2009, 09:05 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hey thanks for the welcome! Where can one obtain these russian lenses? I've studied russian history forever and have collected a few antiques from the soviet union. would love to grab a soviet lens for fun
10-28-2009, 09:22 AM   #4
mel
Veteran Member

Welcome from NOVA. There's a few of us in the greater DC metro area. I shoot Takumars frequently on my Pentax digitals (and have Pentax film cameras as well). You're in good company. Get an adaptor for your Nikon and try that tak 55 on there. If you go to the Lens forum you'll find a thread dedicated soley to the taks.

10-28-2009, 10:11 AM   #5

Original Poster
Hi mel,

Thanks I will definitely look into an adapter. I've heard there are issue focusing to infinity but maybe i'll figure something out.

Do the dc/md/nova people here ever meet up and shoot?
10-28-2009, 08:50 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtags24 Quote
Hey thanks for the welcome! Where can one obtain these russian lenses? I've studied russian history forever and have collected a few antiques from the soviet union. would love to grab a soviet lens for fun
They come on ebay from time to time. For brands, search the lens forum for russian!
10-28-2009, 08:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtags24 Quote
Do the dc/md/nova people here ever meet up and shoot?
I've heard they do, but I'm not sure I just got into this as well. Let me know if you hear anything! There is a meet forum and a social group but haven't seen much
10-29-2009, 10:49 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
I've heard they do, but I'm not sure I just got into this as well. Let me know if you hear anything! There is a meet forum and a social group but haven't seen much
I definitely will! I'm always itching to meet people in the area that like to shoot. if i find some kind of gathering on here or anywhere else I'll shoot you a PM

10-29-2009, 12:08 PM   #9
mel
Veteran Member

Infinity focus - yes there are issues (I have a friend that runs into this problem with his canon shooting taks). I think mainly it's because of the flange around the mount that lies between the lens and the camera. It acts as a mini-extention tube (very mini). Your minimal focusing distance is probably slightly closer too but I haven't tested that out. Just guessing.

A couple of us to get together occassionally and more of us less frequently. MRRiley (Mike - say hi Mike!) is our de facto leader. There's a social group kind in the social groups section and if you go to the Gatherings and Events subforum (General Topics forum) you'll find a calendar that leader Mike has put together of shootable things. We usually meet in that subforum to coordinate things.

Go check things out, join the social group. Lets get something together!