Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-07-2009, 08:14 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
A new Pentaxian in Minnesota

Greetings, all!

My dad shot 35mm film using Canon (can I say that here? ;-) bodies, and still does, back when I was a kid; I only shot 410 back then; but as soon as digitals became inexpensive enough for the average consumer, I was hooked. My first digicam was the Agfa1280, which was great for its time; went on to own a Canon A60, then S3 IS, then for low light, the Fuji F20. But alas, my cams never did give me results I wanted in better than bright light (and then not at 100%); and the dream of someday getting a DSLR was born in me.

Since that time, I've spent more time than I care to admit reading reviews (dpreview, steves-digicams, cameralabs, dcviews, imaging-resource, etc. etc.), looking at samples, comparing specs, etc. and wondering how in the world I'd ever make a decision when and if I had the money. As time went on, I decided that I'd ask for money (for birthdays and Christmas) toward a DSLR, and would just have to be patient, as my kids and wife's needs had to come before this "dream". Well, just a few weeks ago, I received money for a birthday and found that I had enough to start shopping!

It was a hard decision: I loved the high-ISO performance of Canon, but Canon images were almost TOO smooth and silky; I really like to see an object or person for exactly what they are, including the texture and details, which I thought Pentax was better at. I joined both this forum and photography-on-the.net, a Canon forum site like this one, and watched as gear was offered for sale, read reviews, etc. I was a just a FEW MINUTES TOO LATE to snag an incredible deal on a Canon XSi with lens, or I would not be "here" at this time. While I am sure I would have enjoyed the Canon, I'm glad I did not get to it in time. Within a week, I found, on craigslist (can I say that here?), someone's ad for a K10D with 2 lenses, and found out from them that they had bought it new less than 2 years ago, and just did not have the aptitude for something electronic with so many controls and features, and never did get to learn how to use their cam well, so were selling it. The price was very good, and they even threw in another lens to sweeten the deal! It was just what I could afford, so I am now a proud K10D owner; the cam has a shutter count of only about 1250, and looks brand new! It is built like a tank and I love it! I have so much to learn, but it should be an adventure.

I very much appreciate Pentax for their decision to continue with the K-mount family in digital -- a second reason I chose Pentax was that there are gazillions of (sometimes very inexpensive) old (yes, in many cases manual) lenses out there that I can use on my K10D -- that would enable me to own more than one lens and to learn more about manual exposure and focusing -- as well as to learn more about the history of photography (you can't read much about these older lenses without picking up some history!). What fun!

I also want to add that I really appreciate all of you who have contributed advice, reviews, opinions, etc. on this forum -- I have already learned a lot, collected many great links, learned about the famed Eric and other places I could get good service, etc. Keep up the good work! This forum and all of you will help me enjoy my hobby, and I hope to be able to contribute someday here as well.

My gear, currently:
K10D with 18-55mm kit lens; Quantaray 70-300mm AF (I think rebadged Tamron if I understand what I've read correctly), and (from memory, may not be correct) a 400mm prime ProSpec (you see now why he "threw it in" -- budget lens, so I've read). Someday I will own a Pentax 50mm f/1.7, likely an M with my small budget.

- Gordie

11-07-2009, 10:07 PM   #2

Welcome!

I love my old Pentax 50mm f1.7

Flickr Photo Download: Karoli

Razor sharp, lovely lens !
11-08-2009, 02:52 PM   #3

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thanks! Awesome photo! Gotta get me one of those lenses, no matter HOW manual it is! :-)
11-10-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome here Gordie. Great intro.

The K10D is a fine camera in most things (other than high ISO performance ) and should give you the flexibility to capture just about anything you want.

Hope you get to enjoy the fast fifty soon - they're the most cost-effective way to expand your creative and low-light photographic abilities.