Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2007, 04:11 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Greetings from Toronto!

Greetings from Toronto - just stumbled on this site when looking for information on using old Pentax lenses on the K100D. It's great to know 'you' all exist - it seems like everyone I notice with a digital slr is either a Nikon or Canon! I have a perverse sense of pride in bucking the 'popular' trend!

I recently took the plunge into the world of digital photography and am thoroughly enjoying it. I have an old manual Pentax Spotmatic 35mm camera which I bought from a co-worker about 20 years ago. It takes great pictures but I've never really 'understood' the fundamentals of photography - but rather approached it 'instinctively' - I'd focus, pick a f stop, shutter speed and insure the light meter was correct and 'click'. It was always a bit of a pain and I'd miss many great opportunities or frustrate my subjects because I'd do it only infrequently so it took time to get all the 'conditions' correct.

In preparation for purchasing a digital slr I decided it was time to educate myself about photography or at least the basics. Having done that more or less I than headed out to several camera stores to try and decide which camera to buy - (after having read upteem reviews) Everyone steered me to the K100D - so it seemed to be preordained!

I've had the camera since March and have taken it on two trips - Chicago and New York
2 great cities for photography. I have been very pleased with the camera and it's results.

I just purchased a Mount Adapter K, so that I can use my 2 old lens - SMC Takumar 1:3.5/135mm and Super Takumar 1:1.8/55mm on the K100D - so that's my next challenge. Are these considered very 'good' lenses?

I look forward to continue my 'education' of the K100D and photography in general through this group

06-05-2007, 07:12 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome! And don't worry about being lost in the world of Canon/Nikon: although you can not see too often people driving a Ferrari or Porsche it does not mean those are bad cars! (I guess the same stands for Pentax: just look at the Limiteds!) :-)
06-06-2007, 02:01 AM   #3
Inactive Account

QuoteQuote:
It takes great pictures but I've never really 'understood' the fundamentals of photography - but rather approached it 'instinctively' - I'd focus, pick a f stop, shutter speed and insure the light meter was correct and 'click'.
Welcome to the site! Your willingness to learn will help in your 'education' of photography. I too had been just guessing at most exposures and sometimes I'd get it right. Then I took a B&W photography course at Cambrian College about 10 years ago and it all started to make sense. Hell, I didn't know a bus stop from an f stop, but I get it now! Digital SLR photography makes the trial-and-error learning curve almost instantaneous.

Once you settle in we expect to see some pictures! Enjoy yourself.
06-27-2007, 07:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome!

I don't know much about those Takumars, but old glass on our cameras are always fun to tinker with. FotoPete and Carpents may know a thing or two about them...they're the first two who come to mind.

You'll be surprised to find a lot of GTA'ers in here. Can't wait to see what photos you will share with us!