Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2007, 11:34 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
K110D Colorado (USA) LBA club candidate (;-)

Greetings from the Boulder area. A long-time Minolta SRT SLR fan since high school photography class days, I've been using various compact digicams for several years for basic snaphots. Went DSLR in December when I saw I could get a K110D kit for under the magic $500 mark. I've bought a few good used Tamron tele zoom lenses on eBay; I think I have some LBA symptoms. (;-)

As I've recently discovered a wonderful group of foxes (a/k/a leash or skulk) in my area, I 've been photographing the best I can with the gear I have, but I would like to better photograph them. Moving animals, and seen most often at dawn or dusk (3200 ISO sometimes) - it's a challenging photo project. The 28-300 XR Di seems good when I've been able to sneak up and get close during the day, but not good enough for distance shots. JFTHOI, I got one of those cheapie 500mm mirror lenses (that seems to be sold under so many labels) but it's apparent right away that I need better glass for the kind of sharp images I'd like to produce. Considering a tele converter (1.4x, 2x) to go with the 28-300 XR Di, but also thinking about a Sigma 170-500mm (someone here had one for sale a while ago at what seemed like a very good price). Saw what appeared to be very nice, sharp pics taken with that lens (onK10D) posted on dpreview.com, but wondering if an upgrade from K100 to K10 might be in order.

In shopping for lenses, it sure seems like various third-party lenses are always available for Canon and Nikon, but less often for Pentax. (:-( Makes me wonder if I should still consider one of those families before I get too serious about Pentax. (OTOH, as a long-time Mac user, I'm OK not using what's most popular.)

06-07-2007, 01:29 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Welcome Doug

First of LBA candidates don't exist - it's just the denial part, as soon as you get over that you might get saved , if you wish that.

I've got a tam 70-300 what I think is slightly better than the 28-300 you've got and have been searching for something better for the last month's (since it went in repair - after 1 month shooting with it).

Better in my case would be, sharper and faster (longer would be a plus) , and to be honnest I still am not shure what it will be. Really like the sigma 100-300f4 (with 1.4 tele -> 480 f5.6) but the price is beyond my current budget. And so are a lot of others. Just out of curriosity went searching in the other brands and got the same result - they might have more lense but the great ones are expensive (to expensive - especially when they have sr in them)

I'm still very happy with my choise to go for Pentax and hope that the 3rd parties will rediscover pentax again.