Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-19-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
Hi - I have LRA

That’s right – Lens Research Addiction. I’ve got it. It’s WAY cheaper than LBA though… It’s fun to read about everyone’s experience in the various lens “clubs”. Heck – Marc Sabatella even already convinced me to get a mirror lense!

So I decided to join because I’m fairly sure I will get back “into” photography by getting the new K-x. I want to be able to ask questions, and maybe buy some lenses on the “marketplace”.

I am not new to SLR photography, but I never have had a digital one. I learned photography on a fully manual Canon FTb with some nice 50mm and 200mm primes. (I actually know what f-stop means) I always wanted to “go big” since most of the work I admired was landscape shots done with large format cameras. I never felt I could really capture what they did with a 35mm. Since then, digital came on the scene and I have experience with several compact models. They don’t seem as good for “art” in general – but they are feature packed and fun! I am sort of a resolution freak and am always zooming in to see the details captured… As recently as a couple years ago I was on the verge of getting into medium format film on the cheap by getting a twin lens reflex – I figured if I ever wanted to print anything at “poster” size, that would be the way to go for the least expense. But I never did it… So I kept watching the progression of digital technology and have been getting excited about all the great new stuff. The lines are blurring from DSLR to point-n-shoot models with the new micro 4/3 systems – but they are still really new and expensive!

I read several reviews at Cameralabs and DPreview and learned a lot about why the SLRs produce ‘better’ images even with a lower pixel count (noise). I waivered a lot between the premium compact models and the low end DSLRs – knowing that the noise was better in SLRs, but the resolution was better in most compacts for less money. I was very close to getting a Canon G9 (and would still like to have one…). I also like the fun features of the compacts, such as video and the ability to compose on the LCD. Oh, and the macro capabilities of even cheapo point-n-shoot cameras is awesome…

And then I learned about the K-x. Truth be told, if it were another $900 DSLR, I wouldn’t have given it as much thought… But the low starting price combined with many of the fun features I like in compacts got my attention. So I started reading – and have pretty much decided I would like to “jump in” with this model. Here’s why:

- It’s relatively inexpensive.
- It has HD video. (Not a primary use, but why not?)
- It’s relatively small for a DSLR? I think so…
- It has “fun” tweaking options like color isolation (which I like in the Canon cameras)
- It can easily use 30 year old lenses! That is so cool. Apparently this is easier in the Pentax line than in some others – although I know some backward compatibility is provided by the other guys too.
- It has some kind of new magical voodoo supernatural sensor that attracts photons like a black hole! The reportedly excellent high ISO performance means I don’t need or have to seek out all those horribly expensive “fast” lenses! That is nice!
- I have the possibility to find cheap lenses at garage sales!
- It comes in cool, fun colors! Although unfortunately I’ll probably end up with black since I don’t want to pay extra…

So, even though I have not purchased it yet, I’m excitedly researching lenses! It will probably be months before I post any photos to share, but I am looking forward to it. Now, off I go to read about some other no-name 28mm lens that might be a hidden gem! LRA…

Hello from me (Mark) in Kern County California. Talk to many of you soon!

11-19-2009, 04:11 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Welcome to the forum. Warning! LRA is just an early symptom of LBA.
11-19-2009, 04:30 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't start! You'll never break it.

This is like going through the grocery store and drooling over the flavours and qualities of ice cream. There is no harm in looking, but if you just once take some home, it's game over. You will start growing again. Sideways. I know, I did.

Albert Berry, ICA (ice cream anonymous).
11-19-2009, 05:12 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Ha ha! It may be too late. I already bought that mirror lense! Actually it came with a Canon FD mount so I was able to view through it on my dad's old FTb. But it will have to wait a while before it ends up on a digital...

11-19-2009, 10:19 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Oldschool Quote
Welcome to the forum. Warning! LRA is just an early symptom of LBA.
Can't agree more. Took me almost a month before I bought my first DSLR doing tons of research. That only led to ongoing months of researching lenses. Thankfully I'm frugal, so I'm researching cheap lenses.

There are so many versions of old lenses! I don't just want a cheap lens, I want the best cheap lens. Check out this:
Photografica

Then for other vivitar lenses, some in a certain era have SN's that correspond to a manufactuerer:

Vivitar Lens Manufactuers

So I'm researching the cheap 200/3.5, 135/2.8's, Vivitar Series 1

Then theres scrounging craigslist and Pawn shops.

Then theres ALL those Russian lenses and ebay. There are nearly 10 versions of the Helios 44! Oh the bokeh!

Then for a cheap af superzoom for non-switching trips and teaching my SO.. there are 5 versions of the Tamron 28-200mm, then theres the 28-300mm, and the Sigmas.

Then theres cheap old flashes.. so many of them! Some of them will fry your DSLR!

And this is just for the cheap stuff which is good.. but then I started researching the 4 or so different versions of the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8, vs the Tamron.. and my wallet and brain begins to cry.

Places like this, mflenses.com, manualfocus.org.. too many resources!

Then I saw some awesome HD videos taken with DSLRs that are amazing because of the DoF Control:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/72112-another-adve...ing-video.html

Then theres the amazing macro capability with extension tubes, reversal rings, bellows:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/opoterser

Then theres post processing..

Run while you can. Get a couple good lenses and then go out and take pictures instead of being stupid like me! Well, part of the reason is when I get out of work its all dark - so I'm currently researching the best cheap tripod. Ugh!

Then theres all these little tweaks: onboard flash diffuser film canister, tin foil on cardboard bounce flash, quickshift on non quickshift lenses, P-TTL on manual lenses, debug menu, trap-AF on all lenses.

And finally realizing I'm still really just a newb.

Hope I didn't scare you. I think I went a little overboard, but I am a research-o-holic.

Last edited by Eruditass; 11-19-2009 at 10:35 PM.
11-19-2009, 10:47 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Uh... That all sounds a little too close to home... Except I am not researching zooms and tripods...yet. I'm like you, I don't want the premium stuff, I want the best of the lower cost stuff. It should be fine for what I want - I'm no pro.

I'm glad you're not near me - you would beat me to all the good cheap stuff!

Regards,
Mark
11-19-2009, 11:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

My name is Michael, and I too have LRA. Well, it goes further than that - LAARA, perhaps: Lenses and Accessories Research Addiction. I've already mapped out countless purchases, most of which I won't be able to afford any time soon. ;-)

On top of lenses (Mmmm, all those tasty limiteds!), here's what I've been lusting over just in the last few days:

* Metz Mecablitz 58 AF-1 flash strobe
* Pentax AF360FGZ as a secondary slave
* Feisol CT-3441S tripod with Photo Clam PC-33NS ball head (before that I was looking at the Velbon El Carmagne 640...)
* Comer CM-LBPS1800 On-Camera LED Light
* Sennheiser MKE400 shoe-mount shotgun mic
* GiSTEQ CD110BT bluetooth GPS
* Pentax AF160FC ring flash
* ... goodness knows what else. ;-)

I admit it. I have a problem!

11-19-2009, 11:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Nice! I think a social group creation is in order where we can list all the research we have done and what led us to those conclusions with links if possible. Like real brief bullets or plus/minuses.

Like a tertiary-review site so I can waste less time. Although wiki format would be best..
11-20-2009, 12:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Welcome Mark! Next time I'm up in Kern County we will have to hang out.
11-20-2009, 09:08 AM   #10

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your story sounds familiar, but...

After twenty years of winding film through a series of 35mm cameras, I bought a *ist-DS. Within a week, I donated all my film cameras (except one outfit I kept for nostalgia's sake) and all my darkroom stuff to the local arts center.

Knowing how to use manual equipment and controls has definitley helped me out in lots of photographic situations but, increasingly, I tend to trust the automation.

Try using your new camera in all of its modes and see what gives you the best results.

Enjoy!
11-20-2009, 10:26 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
@knoxplor... It sounds like your trying to make a movie with your Pentax gear! I think you and Eruditass might be more addicted to research than me... I'm just cheap!

@Steve - Thanks. I'm looking forward to getting back into this hobby. Combining it with motorcycling excursions in summer sounds like a winning combo.
11-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Optical Illusion Quote
@knoxplor... It sounds like your trying to make a movie with your Pentax gear! I think you and Eruditass might be more addicted to research than me... I'm just cheap!
Yep, you got it. I'd very much like to start taking advantage of my K-7 for movie use - but another item I'll need on my list to be able to do that is a much mower powerful PC, because my current rigs really aren't up to editing HD clips.